• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• jazzbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Mi03NjkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

It´s interesting that in my early youth, the only available Miles-First Quintet album available was "Steamin ´" while the others "Cookin´, Relaxin´, Workin´" we didn´t know about yet. "Steamin" was actually my first jazz LP and the music that turned me to a live long jazz fan. 
Cookin´ Relaxin´was later on a 2 LP thing as it was quite often those days. 
I might say, when I was a kid, goin to school etc. "Miles-Coltrane-Garland-Chambers-Philly J.J." were what I might say "my heroes". Garland the first real jazz pianist I heard (I heard Peterson before but forgot about him after hearing Garland) , and Chambers determined me to buy a bass fiddle with some money my Grandma had left for me..... ,made me practice that bass fiddle day and night and boy I had blisters on my fingers.... 

5 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

:tup

Now:

Ni03NjI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Disc 2 

Is this all the 5 BN´s plus "Our Man in Paris" ? Roost means the 1947 session with "April" on it and the 1953 session with "Embraceable You" on it ? It´s interesting that people talk more about the BN 1953 session than the Roost session from the same period. I almost never read something my concrete about the 53 Roost session, it is great, both the ballads and the fantastic "Woody´n You" and the only version of "Bag´s Groove" I heard from Bud. 
But in General I like most the things with horn players added like the first BN and the side B of the third one, and the Dexter session...

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81ywW1E55OL._SS600_.jpg

Terrific.  :tup 

If I listen to vocal jazz, Billy Eckstine is my first choice, but in my case with the Big Band 1944-1947. I think the last side of the Savoy Double Album "Mr. B. and the Band" is allready something Hollywood-ish with those syropy strings added. 

I could listen for hours to Billy Eckstine and the bop bigband, but there is not so much material...., and I like Kenny Hagood, Johnny Hartman, well those male singers who worked with the boppers, and some Sarah from that time (Mean to Me, Don´t blame me), 
I saw at some friends place once a thing Billy and Sarah and said I must listen to it, and it was great singin, but the band sounded like some of those no name mainstream studio bands of the fifties...

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

More Parker on Verve - all excellent IMO

43239562vg.jpg

43239561jm.jpg

In my collection, the "Fiesta" "Bird and Diz", "Swedish Schnapps", and "Cole Porter" have the same album covers, the others were Vol. 1 "Night and Day", Vol. 2 "Strings", Vol. 3 "Now´s the Time", Vol. 7 "Jazz Perennial"....so on,

I don´t know who gave them the vol. numbers, since it´s not chronological. I think it is 8 volumes, it was Japanese LPs. I think the one I listened most too is "Swedish Schnapps". 

Herunterladen.jpg

Herunterladen (1).jpg

Herunterladen (2).jpg

Herunterladen (3).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe

Trio Hurricane - Suite of Winds (Okka, 1986)R-3130552-1318609943.jpg

I haven't listened to this one in ages. Not sure why, because it's so bloody great.

Glenn Spearman on the rampage with a still young and fresh William Parker, really turning up the heat.

Mental note: listen to more Glenn Spearman.

Edited by Rabshakeh

The Contemporary Jazz Quintet "Location" Strata cd

CS678946-01A-BIG.jpg

Drums, Percussion – Bud Spangler, Dan Spencer
Electric Bass, Electric Upright Bass – Ron Brooks
Electric Piano – Charles Eubanks
Electric Piano, Piano – Ken Cox
Flugelhorn, Trumpet, Percussion – Charles Moore
Guitar – Ron English
Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Leon Henderson

48 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

The Contemporary Jazz Quintet "Location" Strata cd

CS678946-01A-BIG.jpg

Drums, Percussion – Bud Spangler, Dan Spencer
Electric Bass, Electric Upright Bass – Ron Brooks
Electric Piano – Charles Eubanks
Electric Piano, Piano – Ken Cox
Flugelhorn, Trumpet, Percussion – Charles Moore
Guitar – Ron English
Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Leon Henderson

:tup

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this all the 5 BN´s plus "Our Man in Paris" ? Roost means the 1947 session with "April" on it and the 1953 session with "Embraceable You" on it ? It´s interesting that people talk more about the BN 1953 session than the Roost session from the same period. I almost never read something my concrete about the 53 Roost session, it is great, both the ballads and the fantastic "Woody´n You" and the only version of "Bag´s Groove" I heard from Bud. 
But in General I like most the things with horn players added like the first BN and the side B of the third one, and the Dexter session...

"Our Man in Paris" is not included, probably because Bud was not the leader. 

Now

1048.jpg

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

In my collection, the "Fiesta" "Bird and Diz", "Swedish Schnapps", and "Cole Porter" have the same album covers, the others were Vol. 1 "Night and Day", Vol. 2 "Strings", Vol. 3 "Now´s the Time", Vol. 7 "Jazz Perennial"....so on,

I don´t know who gave them the vol. numbers, since it´s not chronological. I think it is 8 volumes, it was Japanese LPs. I think the one I listened most too is "Swedish Schnapps". 

Herunterladen.jpg

Herunterladen (1).jpg

Herunterladen (2).jpg

Herunterladen (3).jpg

Thanks for that Info. Had always the Idea # 1 to 3 is a different series. Volume 7 is  regretablly missing here. Your "Parker with strings" has also this cover

43242271yr.jpg

43242349ho.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
pics

20180528_bb2fd2.jpg

Alto Saxophone – Charles McPherson
Bass – Richard Davis 
Drums – Mickey Roker
Electric Piano – Bob Dorough 
Percussion – Sue Evans (
Piano – Jaki Byard
Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Clarinet – Bobby Jones