Look Who Bought Their First Home!

I tried to give a hint that something was up by changing my profile "Location" to "We're Closing On Wednesday, so watch this space!", just to see if anyone noticed, but ... I guess I'll have to be a bit more direct!

My wife and I just closed on a Townhome in the lovely city of Delray Beach, Florida. Here's the front (if you can't guess, we're on the left):

full_15350_p185886.jpeg

And here's one of the best features, the actual backyard (most townhomes have less than a postage stamp spot to call a "backyard," this one, being built in the mid-80s when builders weren't quite so greedy, so they included a backyard instead of building a second unit!)

full_15350_p185889.jpeg

That's a star fruit tree on the left, there're also papaya, mango and banana trees. :)

Now we're going to have a Media Room with TT, Changer, all the CDs and LPs and a big comfy leather recliner. I may never leave! (my wife gets Direct TV, so she may not even notice that I'm upstairs ;)

Edited by Dan Gould

Damn! That's a serious backyard for a townhouse, Dan! Congratulations. You've now joined the ranks of the "uh oh...can't call the landlord for this one!" crowd! :g

Tell me about it, Mark! Yesterday was spent stripping the wallpaper out of the bathrooms, a truly horrid job. I think that's what Bob Villa will spend eternity doing if he ends up on the express elevator south when his time comes. :g

And to top it off, I went home to take care of the dog and left my wife with the last bathroom to work on, and she called to say that the sheetrock near the toilet was black with mildew, so now we've got our first repair job to deal with and we haven't even moved in yet!

B3-er,

I saw your tile thread but I have stuidously avoided it and intend to continue to studiously avoid it. :g

Seriously, thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Congratulations!! Nice to see green this time of year...

Doing taxes for 2004 will be a lot of fun deducting closing costs and interest paid and all sorts of good things that home ownership allows you to do.

And if you're like me- your new favorite channels will be HGTV, DIY, and various PBS shows, all dealing with home improvements and gardening tips!

Dave,

She's already said she will handle the yardwork. She likes it. I got over that as a child. No wonder I love her so.

Vajerzy,

I don't plan to start watching those shows anytime soon, though we are getting DirectTV so God only knows what she will find off the satelite. But while I may be abducted into working on the projects, heaven knows I won't start watching those shows.

Way to go!

Keep an eye on your escrow account - mortgage companies can legally put you through some changes about it. Don't necessarily believe the numbers you were quoted at closing - it's not unheard of for the "estimates" for taxes and insurance (mostly taxes, since you probably lined up your own insurance) to be lower so the monthly payment looks more appealing. Do some reserach ASAP to find out what your REAL tax bill will be, and get the momey into your escrow account so you can avoid a surprise escrow shortage next year. Mortgage companies are allowed by law to have a full years + two months worth of tax and insurance calculated into your monthly payment. They are also legally allowed to "estimate" future increases for same. If you overpay, you get a refund at the end of the annual cycle, but if your escrow account is "underfunded" at the time of the annual analysis, they give you the option of paying in a lump sum or spreading the increase out over the next twelve months. This catches a LOT of people off guard, because if the mortgage company underestimated to a significant enough degree, your monthly payment can increase quite a bit. And it's all legal.

Also, if you haven't signed up for some sort of automatic payment plan (a wise idea if practical, I think. Eliminates the chances of those pesky late fees), make sure you understand EXACTLY how your mortgage company (or, in all liklihood, the company that will soon assume your loan, either outright or through servicing rights) handles their payment processing in regard to coupons, automatic distribution of any excess funds paid, etc. I've been working in the payment processing department of a major mortgage company, and the problems I see created by the combination of an uninformed customer meeting an automated distribution system are seemingly infinite. Every company has a procedeure, as well as a way to override it, but unless you know how their system works, you can end up spending hours on the phone w/the customer servive department trying to straighten things out, and knowing your, uh, "low tolerance" for apathy and ineptitude, I'd think that that would be something you'd want to avoid for the sake of everybody concerned. ;)

A bit of a hassle sure, but that's just the cost of doing business. Home ownership is a beautiful thing, no matter how much hassle is involved. Forty acres and a mule it ain't, but it's the next best thing. Congratulations again!

Edited by JSngry