Maria Schneider - forget looking in your CD shop!

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was recorded over four consecutive days at Avatar Studios in NYC. But then there's mixing, mastering, (the credits also list "post-mixing and pre-mastering"), rehearsals, parts copying, copyright registrations and other administrative things - and remember, the cost of other big band sessions might not include the pressing, packaging, printing, photos and design artwork, etc. that are necessary for a completely self-done issue.

I don't know it for a fact, but I imagine that MS pays her musicians very well to get them to make themselves available when needed. Could be over and above the going rate.

Mike

and remember, the cost of other big band sessions might not include the pressing, packaging, printing, photos and design artwork, etc. that are necessary for a completely self-done issue.

True.

So she's spending a lot more to get it out, but she gets a much higher percentage of the profit, right?

It sounds like she expects to recoup her investment and then some. That's a pretty good testimonial for the ArtistShare concept.

I see that there are several other well-known artists using the AS method. I'm wondering if it would work as well for lesser known artists, for example, some of the Criss-Cross types who are known more by the hard-core jazz fans than by the "casual" listener.

Well, she's selling 10,000 maximum, so simple math indicates that she needs to sell 5,000 at $16.95 each to cover her costs. I surely hope she sells all 10,000 and makes a nice profit, but is there really that kind of market for such progressive big band music? (hard really to label it big band jazz in the traditional sense).

BTW, it's an excellent CD, though if I could only take one Maria Cd to the desert island, I would grab Allegresse.

• 2 months later...

Just don't make it only available from a US wine shop on purchasing two bottles of the stuff!

Well I picked up a case of the 2001 a couple years ago and didn't get a cd. We polished off two bottles at the Christmas table today......it's a very good medium dry (halbtrocken) Riesling. I'm not sure if the label design changes on an annual basis but here's a scan of the 2001 'Jazz' label for those who haven't seen it. It sure would make a nice looking 20 x 16" framed print. If only do-it-yourself lithography was as easy as burning a cd. B-)

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Well, she's selling 10,000 maximum, so simple math indicates that she needs to sell 5,000 at $16.95 each to cover her costs. I surely hope she sells all 10,000 and makes a nice profit, but is there really that kind of market for such progressive big band music? (hard really to label it big band jazz in the traditional sense).

BTW, it's an excellent CD, though if I could only take one Maria Cd to the desert island, I would grab Allegresse.

Although 10,000 sounds like a lot (and if we sold 10,000 records, I'd be shitting my pants! :excited: ) when you come right down to it, considering there are over 250 million people in the US alone, it should be completely possible to sell that much.

Of course, it's progressive big band music. :( And we're culturally vapid. If she doesn't sell enough to make back her costs, it would be really sad. It's a beautiful record (Joe G played it for me... need my own copy).

• 1 month later...

Ordered two scores from the mariaschneider.com site - they are immediate downloads in .pdf format. I got the Bulería, Soleá Y Rumba and also Hang Gliding. A bit pricey, but they're long pieces (53 and 38 pages, respectively) and I know exactly where the money is going.

Bulería, Soleá Y Rumba is the highlight of the new record and seeing it all laid out is remarkably enlightening. There are a lot of things that are NOT in the score (drums and percussion, most significantly for this piece - and obviously, the improvised solos). There are concepts that the score makes much clearer - such as the form, with sections repeated underneath solos - since the focus during listening is drawn by the soloist, one doesn't notice the structure as easily.

I like seeing some of the directions, which are not typical but are more personal (like those of composer Percy Grainger who avoided the usual Italian and would make up his own words) - I see things like "Super soft with little accents" and "Maybe sneak in here" to show where the tenor solo in the Soleá begins - in fact, McCaslin waits two beats more before starting. Then there's the direction in the flugelhorn part "Lightly (as if an open ringing string on a guitar)" - uh, OK...... I bet no trumpeter has ever seen that before (or since).

Another aspect that isn't apparent from the record, but is more noticeable from seeing the band live is how much the lead gets passed around. The score makes this plain and when following along it's remarkable to hear how smooth the transitions are where one player passes it over to another. Or the sections where a single flugelhorn (4th part) is playing with the four trombones and the contrabass clarinet is sometimes doubling, sometimes different, while bass flute and alto flute are somewhat together and all this is going on in the middle of the tenor solo.

There's really nothing in the score that gives the full intensity of the amazing build in the Soleá - it would need to be explained and rehearsed, not just read. There's a lot of improvisation that isn't notated - for example, the bass is given one long held note, but ended up playing quite active fills at the end of the Soleá. The ending of the entire piece is performed differently from the score too, with no ritardando and with percussion continuing in time even past the "end".

For those who can deal with reading a score, there is much to be learned here - it's fantastic that it's all being made available. Still haven't sat down at the piano with it but I will eventually. And then there's Hang Gliding - another post perhaps.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

road trip.... :tup

Man ---- would I be up for that!! Her orchestra's performance in Orange County a few years back has been my *most* memorable jazz experience --- bar NONE.

I'll drive the first shift; I'll wake you when we get to the first Dairy Queen. ^_^

road trip.... :tup

Man ---- would I be up for that!! Her orchestra's performance in Orange County a few years back has been my *most* memorable jazz experience --- bar NONE.

I'll drive the first shift; I'll wake you when we get to the first Dairy Queen. ^_^

Now that you mention it, I imagine I could kill two birds with one stone. [if I were *remotely* interested in that kind of drive.] En route to N.Y.C. I could visit the U.S.S. Indianapolis Memorial. My mom's cousin was the commander of that ill-fated ship.

But seriously, I got a chance to meet Maria at the Orange County gig. A friend of mine produced the wine package discussed earlier, and he took me back to the green room. She's definitely one of the most charming down-to-earth people I've met. Among other things, I told Maria that I'd been lying to my jazz buddies -- telling him that we were cousins. (Since my mother's maiden name was Schneider)

She chuckled, and toward the end of our stay she autographed her photo in the program by saying: "It was a pleasure to finally meet my long lost cousin." One of these days I'll have it framed --- one of my most treasured jazz keepsakes!

Edited by James

• 1 month later...

I thought that readers of this list would be interested in this letter in my mailbox this morning:

Dear Garth:

First of all, I want to thank all of you who have participated in this site. We changed history by being the first recording to win a GRAMMY with Internet-only distribution. More amazing yet, this was only sold through a single website and financed completely by participants of the project. The publicity has been huge. My hope is that this will inspire artists and audiences alike.

Here are some of the latest updates to mariaschneider.com and Maria's Studio Recording 2004 Project:

BRAND NEW!! THE 'MARIA SCHNEIDER ORCHESTRA FEATURING YOU!!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've just released a new offer in the 'Concert in the Garden' Studio Recording Project called 'MSO Featuring YOU!!' We've taken all the tracks from 'Concert in the Garden,' plus the composition 'Evanescence' and remixed them without the soloists. This means that 'you' can take every solo with the orchestra. I've even had requests for this from my band! You'll receive downloadable MP3 clips of each track edited to start just a short passage before the solo, (assuming everyone's listened to the original versions so they're familiar with the context). This makes it easy to do multiple passes. You'll also get downloadable PDFs of the solo parts transposed to C, Bb, Eb and F. You'll get exclusive access to streamed interviews that I conducted with the soloists about their approach to these improvised sections and soloing in general. Some interviews are yet to be posted. The final few will be added soon to each participant's account. Click here to read more about the offer 'MSO Featuring YOU!!'

BAND INTERVIEWS ADDED TO SCORES/PARTS AND STUDY SCORES

For all of you that have purchased sets of Score & Parts or individual Study Scores through the site, we would like to inform you of new items recently added to your account. I've been conducting interviews with many of the members of my band about their approach to performing various specific ensemble parts and their various approaches to soloing on my pieces. There are many interviews already posted by people like pianist Frank Kimbrough, trumpeters Greg Gisbert and Ingrid Jensen, sax players Tim Ries, Rich Perry and Rick Margitza, and guitarist Ben Monder. These interviews will keep coming over time. I'll soon be including streamed instructionals as to how to best rehearse each piece. Eventually, every composition I offer will include these rehearsal instructionals and band member interviews. Below you will find a list of the compositions that have had interviews added to them. If you've purchased any of these, you can access them any time when you go to your account. Or, if you haven't purchased any scores/interviews, you can view all available scores at The Scores Store (scores and parts) or The Study Scores Store (study scores). More scores, and many more interviews are coming!

One or more interviews have been posted for the following titles:

Allegresse, Buleria Solea y Rumba, Choro Dancado, Coming About, Concert in the Garden, Danca Ilusoria, Dance You Monster, Evanescence, Evanescence (The Complete Study Scores), Green Piece, Gush, Hang Gliding, Journey Home, Last Season, My Lament, Night Watchman, Pas de Deux, The Complete Three Romances, Tork's Café and Wyrgly.

If you have purchased one of these titles as either Scores & Parts or Study Scores - click here to go to your account and check out all interviews that are available.

'EVANESCENCE' AND 'ALLEGRESSE' RE-RELEASED AS PARTICIPANT OFFERS WITH 'CONCERT IN THE GARDEN'

'Evanescence' and 'Allegresse' are finally re-released and available exclusively through mariaschneider.com. This week we will be expanding the 'Evanescence' experience by uploading a host of photos by photographer, Tom Bloom, who so beautifully documented this 1992 (our first) session. These photos will be posted in the accounts of people who have participated at a level that included 'Evanescence' in its items. You can step back in time and see images of the band as you listen to the music - we all look so young! You will additionally get a high-quality download of 'Concert in the Garden' along with numerous photos of that recent session, news entries documenting the making of this recording and a one-hour lecture made from questions submitted by participants. Click the following participation level for details:

Music Lover Participant (Evanescence)

Music Lover Participant (Allegresse)

2 CDs of Your Choice Participant

Music Lover Participant (3-pack)

UPCOMING TOURS OF MARIA SCHNEIDER & MSO.

We'll be touring all over the globe in the upcoming year, playing far more than ever before. Be sure and check out the Events Page to see if we're coming to a city near you.

I am so excited to be able to share so extra aspects of the music through interviews, photos and other means to come. This is just the kind of thing that has made ArtistShare so exciting for me. I hope you will enjoy the new things we are offering through new offers, and by expanding those offers which many of you already participate in.

All good wishes to you!

Sincerely,

Maria Schneider

you know, I played with Maria Schneider... :w

Seriously: I'll may go for the two reissues, as these are the two Enjas I miss (the other one I've had for several years).

In my opinion it's great that this way of marketing music is successful! If it works out fine with her, I hope more and more other musicians try it, as well!

Edited by king ubu

• 2 months later...

Maria Schneider picked up a number of awards at the Jazz Journalists Association shindig a couple of weeks ago: Jazz Album of the Year; Jazz Composer of the Year; Jazz Arranger of the Year; Large Ensemble of the Year. And Luciana Souza, featured on Concert In The Garden, got Female Jazz Singer of the Year

The Maria Schneider Orchestra plays tonight at the World Financial Center Plaza in NYC - free show starts at 7 PM.

http://www.rivertorivernyc.org/events/inde...ls&event_id=122

Those in and around Great Barrington, Mass. can see the band on Friday.

http://www.mahaiwe.org/

Mike

A pretty good show, some sound problems - the trumpets never got the boost they deserved. Probably about the closest NYC will get to having a real "concert in the garden" - this was a nice outdoor setting with absolutely beautiful weather.

The band:

Tim Ries, Charles Pillow, Rich Perry, Donny McCaslin, Scott Robinson

Greg Gisbert, Tony Kadleck, Alex Sipiagin, Laurie Frink

Keith O'Quinn, Rock Ciccarone, Larry Farrell, George Flynn

Gary Versace; Ben Monder; Frank Kimbrough; Jay Anderson; Clarence Penn

Maria Schneider

The absence of Luciana Souza and Gonzalo Grau probably influenced the absence of Bulería, Soleá Y Rumba.

The set:

Journey Home

Concert In The Garden

Choro Dançado

El Viento

The Willow

Dança Illusória

Hang Gliding [encore]

I was disappointed again to miss Gisbert playing on El Viento. Subbing for Ingrid Jensen was Alex Sipiagin, whom I've never heard with this band. OK soloist, nothing special, exited his solo early and had to come back and finish - or maybe he just wanted to get twice the applause. Gisbert slipped on a couple of high notes. Maybe it was just as well he only soloed on Hang Gliding. McCaslin's solo on that tune was very good - he's really got a different rhythm feel going - but el viento was blowing mucho and that caused some problems. Scott Robinson's feature The Willow had him doing his typically wack thing with multiphonics, altissimo, and bending notes. I wonder what it must be like to see him for the first time.

Mike

Scott Robinson's feature The Willow had him doing his typically wack thing with multiphonics, altissimo, and bending notes. I wonder what it must be like to see him for the first time.

Mike

For a minute, I had questions about his mental health!

The next minute, I was a fan.