Then.....and Now

vajerzy

When Bonds started out, he wieghed around 195lbs.. All of a sudden, in his mid-thirties, he goes up to 245lbs. of pure muscle.With a straight face he's saying he never took anything: he just decided to discard physiology and logic and everything we know about aging atheletes. I'd also love to see a series of three jason Giambi photos- when he first started out, last year and now(He claims to have lost 4(!) pounds in the offseason)...

It's hard to imagine that Bond's is not taking the shit.

The big question is, will MLB do anything about it?

The thing is, there is a big gray area between, oh, a steak-and-eggs diet and full-blown anabolic steroids (which most people nowadays avoid because of the health risks). Just below the full-blown steroids are the direct precursors, like "andro" (androstene dione) -- Mark McGwire's "supplement" of choice, legal in MLB, illegal in NFL -- and below that is creatine (Sosa) and a bunch of other precursors, protein components, amino acids -- and below that is HEAVY protein-supplement-loading during training and use of non-speed fatburners (chromium).

There are a lot of guys obsessively training (and ingesting) to pack on muscle and burn fat, constantly tinkering with their intake regimen so as to just fall within the ever-shifting limit of legality.

Whenever I think of athletes taking steroids I think of Lyle Alzado who took steroids during his career and they contributed to his very painful death.

I think he was also taking growth hormones when he was trying to make a comeback, around the age of 40... growth hormones I am sure would speed along tumors....not that steroids wouldn't as well...

Mark McGuire was a favorite of mine, I really would hate to hear that he did steroids...Jose Canseco I liked from his first day, he was forever missing time because of injuries, the kind it sounds like steroids cause, could be the problem that put McGuire to pasture as well...Bonds and Sosa almost never miss games! And Bonds is going to turn 40 this year...how many 40 year old outfielders are there today???

I would tend to think Maren is right, obsessively working out, and cutting edge diets explain their masses....of course, their trainers might have put just a wee bit of steroids, or what have you in their expensive potions to make it seem like those protein shakes are really special....It seems unfair to me that people just assume that they cannot put muscle on like they do...If I had a personal trainer, (Perhaps one that looked like Jessica Biel? :wub: ) and had a dietician preparing my diet, I'd look a lot better than I do from going to the gym 2-3 times a week.

Moose, I bet if someone was offering you millions of dollars, and the chance to have tens of thousands of fans applauding you in San Fran every day, you to would be 245 pounds of pure muscle as well! But then again, perhaps the millions and applause are part of your daily life at Target anyway! :P

"San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, New York Yankees stars Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield and three other major-league baseball players received steroids from a Burlingame nutritional supplement lab, federal investigators were told." ---San Francisco Chronicle, Tuesday, March 2, 2004

I guess we can stop arguing about whether or not Bonds took steroids.

It saddens me though...to think that sleepy little Burlingame is involved in this.