Clarence Johnson III

KOB

Clarence Johnson III is a highly skilled technically proficient tenor sax player. Some, but not slavish, reference to Coltrane and shades of James Carter in delivery. His first CD release in 1998, Dedicated To You is quite good. The man is deep in debt to his soulful gospel roots which gives his playing a very passionate and sincere feel to it. This CD is definitely worth checking out. personally, I would love to hear more from Clarence Johnson. He's the real deal.

g03603prbmv.jpg

Edited by KOB

I have this, and it's very interesting and enjoyable. Johnson plays in a happy, swinging style, and is not at all averse to using elements of "energy" playing as he goes along, keeping, I suppose, with the "quiet as its kept" connection between Gospel & Free Jazz in terms of "feeling the spirit". At first, it was a bit disorienting for me to hear such devices used so "innocently", but Johnson's sheer joyousness finally won me over.

However much fun the record as a whole is, though, there is one certifiable masterpiece on here and that is a reading of "How Great Thou Art", the album's closer, which is about as emotionally devistating and profoundly felt a performance as I've ever heard out of ANYBODY, and that is a statement I do not make lightly, believe me.

Recommended, and that last cut is truly essential.

This one had been in my unheard box for long time - probably over a year - and I finally listened to it a couple of times yesterday. Should not have waited so long. Its very good. I also hear similarities between Johnson and James Carter, but since I am guessing that they are roughly the same age I am going to assume that the similarities are a result of similar influences as opposed to one checking out the other. I think the elements of "energy" as described by Jim in Johsnon's playing within this straightahead context is what I found most appealing. Worth checking out.