Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/11/2024 at 12:28 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Great film.  It reminded me, in an oblique way, of Sideways.  Something about the pacing, the characters, the relationships, and I'm sure the music too. 

Same. I immediately thought of Sideways while watching, and I mean that as a compliment. The cynical/depressed lead who's guzzling wine only this time he's a writer. Very similar in mood all around. 

Also, I think the closing song was Adderley's Autumn in New York; while I also think there was definite nods to jazz legends in the names Monk & Maynard; along with Ellison being a reference to the author. Sometimes stuff like that can come across as the writers trying to be overly clever but in the scope of this movie I thought all of that worked. 

Edited by Dub Modal

15 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Same. I immediately thought of Sideways while watching, and I mean that as a compliment. The cynical/depressed lead who's guzzling wine only this time he's a writer. Very similar in mood all around. 

Also, I think the closing song was Adderley's Autumn in New York; while I also think there was definite nods to jazz legends in the names Monk & Maynard; along with Ellison being a reference to the author. Sometimes stuff like that can come across as the writers trying to be overly clever but in the scope of this movie I thought all of that worked. 

Agreed.  And I really liked Laura Karpman's score.  I was not familiar with her previously.  She apparently has a jazz background.  

Ok, I like superhero movies (I still have a Marvel silver age collection), so I went to see "Deadpool and Wolverine." All the Deadpool movies break the fourth wall, but this one just obliterates it! Way too many fights, but the cameos are fun.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

@rostasi @mjazzg @Rabshakeh

Last night, Ms. TTK and I rewatched Quadrophenia. It is indeed a very solid film, despite a few continuity glitches, and can be viewed as a Neo-Angry Young Man/Kitchen Sink film. 

I might be tempted but only when the Director's Cut is issued without Sting's ridiculously anachronistic blonde hairstyle

On 9/7/2024 at 6:55 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Last night, we re-watched 2001 for the first time in a while.  

A friend tried showing that one to students in a class, and they were bored to death. I guess it just moves too slowly for people raised in a video culture of quick cuts.

12 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

A friend tried showing that one to students in a class, and they were bored to death. I guess it just moves too slowly for people raised in a video culture of quick cuts.

I think 2001 always moved slowly, whether you are raised in a culture of CGI Marvel battles or raised in a culture of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The first two acts of that film really are provocatively slow.

41 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

26 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think 2001 always moved slowly, whether you are raised in a culture of CGI Marvel battles or raised in a culture of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The first two acts of that film really are provocatively slow.

The pacing is precisely one of the things that makes the film a masterpiece.  How else do you convey the incomprehensible vastness of space and time?  

I feel bad for the students.  I consider 2001 to be hands-down the greatest outer space film ever made.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I might be tempted but only when the Director's Cut is issued without Sting's ridiculously anachronistic blonde hairstyle

The biggest anachronism occurs during the scene where the mods crash the house party.  Jimmy goes over to the record player, and we see the cover art for the US MCA 70s twofer reissue LP of The Who Sell Out and A Quick One.  What the album was doing there is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

A recent anecdote, which is brought to my mind by your comment (not to disagree with it: it is probably correct).

I was recently at a dinner at my parents' house, with some of their friends (70ish). My kids (6 and 4) were getting tired and we decided to put them in front of a film. They like the Ray Harryhausen film Jason and the Argonauts, so I suggested The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, and then headed back to the table, whilst my wife put on "Sinbad". 

For some reason, the kids (6 and 4) could not really watch it. They kept hopping in and out, saying that it was too scary and they didn't like it. We told them to stop being silly and to go back. The film is from over 50 years ago and is clearly not scary, even if it has some thrills. Various opinions were exchanged over the wine about how kids nowadays can't even watch old films and that they they find them boring because they are used to overstimulating films with endless cuts, and just don't have the attention span anymore. 

Eventually I got irritated and went in to turn the film off.

Turns out it was not the slightly dated but charming The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. It was some early 80s Z movie called "Sinbad" with zombie skeleton henchmen and a scientist who, as I was walking in, was torturing the heroine by tweaking her nipples in some sort of dungeon, all in grimly cheap film stock. 

Turns out it wasn't generational. It was just the wrong Sinbad.

Edited by Rabshakeh