R.I.P. Paul Kantner(Jefferson Airplane)

Tom 1960

"Blows" was credited to Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship. I don't want to belabor this, though, as the later commercial edition that used that name WERE a very different animal. "Sunfighter" was credited to Paul/Grace, not the JS - my bad.

Bark, Long John Silver and 30 Seconds Over Winterland all have their plusses and minuses with Bark being the most successful, IMO. But they were definitely on the way out and progressively more and more splintered.

FWIW, I've been to Jorma's Fur Peace guitar camp in Ohio a couple of times. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I've met Jack there, too - also nice, but more aloof.

This is unbelievable!

From Jorma, JA Guitarist :
Goodnight Signe
We were just checking into the hotel in Santa Monica this afternoon… I’ve got a solo gig at McCabe’s Music Shop tonight… I got a call from Grace who told me that Signe, the Airplane’s first female voice, passed on the same day as Paul.
Signe was one of the strongest people I have ever met. She was our den mother in the early days of the Airplane… a voice of reason on more occasions than one… an important member of our dysfunctional little family. I always looked forward to seeing her when we played the Aladdin in Portland. She never complained and was always a joy.
Flights of angels sing thee to thy rest sister…
You will always live in my heart…
Now we are four.

12669601_813384418788794_157181140739836

Edited by BFrank

So sorry to hear about Signe Anderson!  Here is a key quote from the Jorma post on Paul Kantner " The Airplane was an amazing aggregate of personalities and talent. That we could all coexist in the same room was amazing. That we could function together and make the lasting art that we did was nothing short of a miracle. In my opinion Paul was the catalyst that made the alchemy happen. He held our feet to the flame. He could be argumentative and contentious… he could be loving and kind… his dedication to the Airplane’s destiny as he saw it was undeniable"

I was basing my comment on the photo, which shows the lineup for the first album. Only three remain from the photo: Jorma, Jack and Marty.

Of the classic lineup, four remain, the above three and Grace. That is probably what Jorma meant.

If you go by the first band that never recorded, there are still four. I believe Bob Harvey and Jerry Peloquin are still around, definitely the latter since I spoke to him on Facebook.

I can't imagine the Airplane without Jack. No recordings of the original band have ever surfaced, right?

Bertrand.