What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

On 29.2.2016 at 8:27 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

The Ligeti Project

Disc 2: Lontano, Atmospheres, Apparitions*, San Francisco Polyphony, Romanian Concerto

("Ah, so this is the piece with the virtuoso tea-tray of crockery hurled into a box. Brilliantly interpreted here. Such touch! Such tone!)  

wonderful ....

• Replies 22.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, soulpope said:

wonderful ....

Only my third run through of this box so it's not music I know very well but am enjoying it - especially the enormous disparity between the tonal, folksy pieces and the more experimental music. Next time I need to try and listen chronologically to the pieces. 

Now playing:
Frédéric Chopin 
– Scherzo for Piano No.1 in B minor B.65/ Op.20
– Scherzo for Piano No.2 in B flat minor/D flat major B.111/ Op.31
– Scherzo for Piano No.3 in C sharp minor B.125/ Op.39
– Scherzo for Piano No.4 in E major B.148/ Op.54
Arthur Rubinstein (piano) (RCA Victor Living Stereo—Red Seal Records / Sony Classical), CD 68 from the complete album collection.

052.jpg

Edited by alankin

Ludwig van Beethoven (EMI Music France)

– Bagatelle for Piano in A minor WoO 59 "Für Elise" 
– Rondo a capriccio for Piano in G major Op.129 "Rage Over a Lost Penny"
Danielle Laval (piano)

– 7 Variations for Piano in C major on "God Save the King", WoO 78
György Cziffra (piano)

– 15 Variations and Fugue for Piano in E flat major Op.35 "Eroica"
– 6 Variations for Piano in F major on an Original Theme Op.34
– 6 Variations for Piano on an Original Theme in D major Op.76
– 8 Variations for Piano in F major on a theme by Süssmayr WoO 76
Georges Solchany (piano)  

CD 19 from:

51DOR72J-2L.jpg

Bartók: Works for Violin & PianoPhilip Sawyers: Cello Concerto, Symphony No. 2 & Concertante for Violin, Piano and Stringsget_image.php?image=CDA68077

New recording of the Elgar. My Boult/Tortelier that I've had since 1978 (on LP and later CD) sounded very flat (recording/remastering wise) last time I played it so I've been on the lookout for a more modern recording. Good coupling here - the Walton is a little known crepuscular gem. Also includes Holst's 'Invocation', a gorgeous piece of romantic pastoralism, similar to the Butterworth orchestral pieces and a short solo suite by Imogen Holst. 

Sawyers is quite unknown to me - a contemporary composer writing in a early to mid-20thC style. Reminiscent of Walton.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

MI0000955294.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I bought this after watching an episode of 'Morse' several decades backs where Lewis whizzes around northern Italy with the Mandolin Concerto in the background. A wonderfully breezy record....a sort of classical equivalent to an early Pat Metheny record. I've tried playing it whilst skimming around the North Nottinghamshire Corniche in an open top but it's not quite the same. 

Mozart: The Great Piano Concertos, Vol.1 - Nos. 19-23 (2 CDs)R-4579193-1374074764-6332.jpeg.jpg

No 22 of the Mozart. 

Johann Sebastian Bach (Naïve)
– Trio Sonata for Organ No.5 in C major BWV 529 – Pierre Hantaï (harpsichord),  François Fernandez (violin), Sébastien Marq (recorder) 
– Trio Sonata for Organ No.1 in E flat major BWV 525 – Pierre Hantaï (harpsichord), François Fernandez (violin), Philippe Pierlot (viola da gamba), Sébastien Marq (flute)
– Trio Sonata for Organ No.4 in E minor BWV 528: 1st movement Adagio-Vivace – Sébastien Marq (recorder), François Fernandez (violin), Pierre Hantaï (harpsichord), Philippe Pierlot (viola da gamba)
– Pedal-Exercitium BWV 598 – Sébastien Marq (recorder)
– Trio Sonata for Organ No.6 in G major BWV 530 – Philippe Pierlot (viola da gamba), Pierre Hantaï (harpsichord), Sébastien Marq (recorder), François Fernandez (violin)
– Suite for Cello solo No.2 in D minor BWV 1008 – Sébastien Marq (recorder)
Le Concert Français

71w6y2J5HpL._SX355_.jpg

Bainbridge: Fantasia, Viola Concerto & Concertante in moto perpetuoHandel: Chandos Anthems, Vol. 1R-2795316-1301357390.jpeg.jpg

The mystery composer on the first is Simon Bainbridge. SQ 6 off the latter - end of a nice little journey that I will repeat very soon. Never paid much attention until today as to how this was structured - fast, not so fast, slower, slow, with the same theme opening each movement and generating the whole of the last. Quite different to the previous two. The third movement reminded me very much of Shostakovich.