What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

So glad you have power back! I know what that was like--a few winters ago lost power for 5 days. . . and then a month later for 7 days. . . no heat, no water. . . a bad time.

We’re more fortunate than most, because our house came with an auxiliary generator, so I really can’t complain.  We were able to live in our house (no mean feat with temps in the 90’s every day) and our food didn’t spoil.  But being without internet opened my eyes to how much we rely on it these days.

Having a generator is a good thing. We have vowed to get one if we have a repeat of a few weeks without power but since those two instances we haven't had a repeat (we live in a forested area and after trimming trees that caused those power outages the outages have halted. . . for now). The bad thing about power outages is that when there are really heavy wind storms or really heavy snow storms that cause the outage the power company takes care of the populated areas FIRST and our neighborhood is very sparsely housed and is taken care of. . . last. But overall the advantages of our neighborhood outweigh that limitation.

I had a similar experience in Stamford, Connecticut.  We lived in a hilly, wooded area, with only 7 houses on the circuit.  There were power outages all the time: in the winter (ice and snowstorms), spring and summer (nor'easters), and it took forever for the power company to restore our power.  I couldn't assail their logic.  So I installed a generator in that house; because there were no underground gas lines there, I also had to install a propane tank.  The generator is noisy and smelly, but there's nothing like it for peace of mind.  Fortunately, when we moved to Houston, the house came with an installed generator, which the prior owners installed after Hurricane Ike in 2008.

Ha! Luckily no real need for a propane tank. A generator would be nice. Maybe if a ship ever comes in--we have no intentions of ever moving from our sylvan wonderland.

Edited by jazzbo