What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, soulpope said:

This looks very interesting .... your impressions ?

The playing would get 8 out of ten points from me. I think the singers overdo it a little bit. Only if you are deeply into 17th century Roman baroque. Stradella e.g. is the more compelling composer.

Edited by mikeweil

18 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

The playing would get 8 out of ten points from me. I think the singers overdo it a little bit. Only if you are deeply into 17th century Roman baroque. Stradella e.g. is the more compelling composer.

Thnx .... as this is a budget release will give it a try .... 

Now listening to this opera:

NjgtNTk2Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Prokofiev: War and Peace / Melik-Pashayev, Kibkalo, Vishnevskaya, Petrov, et al (Melodiya, rec. 1959)

Years ago, after buying it used, I discovered that the first CD in this set is defective.  :(  So today I began with Scene 8 -- the first of the "war scenes" that make up the second half of the opera -- on disc 2.

48 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

A favorite since the '70s.

:tup  Yes, both Münch and Roussel are terrific.

Edited by HutchFan

I'm listening to a couple different interpretations of Brahms' Ballades, Op. 10:

Mi03ODY0LmpwZWc.jpeg

and 

MDItMTYxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

It's probably unfair to compare Peter Rösel with Emil Gilels.  (It's probably unfair to compare any pianist with Gilels. ;))  But Rösel holds his own.  He doesn't quite plumb the depths that Gilels does.  Rösel's reading is much more "middle of the road"; even so, it's still very impressive.  Gilels, on the other hand, is much more mercurial.  His recording modulates outward and inward by turns, sometimes imperious & extroverted and other times intensely lyrical & inner-focused. 

Maybe I'll listen to Michelangeli and Rubinstein next. 

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm listening to a couple different interpretations of Brahms' Ballades, Op. 10:

Mi03ODY0LmpwZWc.jpeg

and 

MDItMTYxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

It's probably unfair to compare Peter Rösel with Emil Gilels.  (It's probably unfair to compare any pianist with Gilels. ;))  But Rösel holds his own.  He doesn't quite plumb the depths that Gilels does.  Rösel's reading is much more "middle of the road"; even so, it's still very impressive.  Gilels, on the other hand, is much more mercurial.  His recording modulates outward and inward by turns, sometimes imperious & extroverted and other times intensely lyrical & inner-focused. 

Maybe I'll listen to Michelangeli and Rubinstein next. 

Rösel has consistently a level-headed approach, which works fine with Brahms ....  Gilels a magician off course ....

Continuing with my little exploration of Brahms' Op. 10:

NS02NTczLnBuZw.jpeg

and

71p0RGfgwsL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

38 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Rösel has consistently a level-headed approach, which works fine with Brahms ....

Yes. "Level-headed" is a good description.  It's very effective indeed.

Edited by HutchFan