Guest Chaney

Should the post count be eliminated?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been wondering: what exactly is the point in displaying a member's number of posts?

Given a choice, I'd suggest losing it as I feel that without that tabulation, we'd each lose weight and look slimmer.

Or at least display the number only on the member's profile page.

If it's to stay, maybe we could also have a word count? :blink:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it, and I think it's helpful to newcomers to the board as well. I like being able to see who contributes a lot to the boards I visit, and to see why they have a lot to say.

stick around for a week and you get the idea of who posts a lot and who doesn't even without the post count... :w

give it up, there are no arguments! it's about being the alpha male! :g

I like it, and I think it's helpful to newcomers to the board as well.  I like being able to see who contributes a lot to the boards I visit, and to see why they have a lot to say.

stick around for a week and you get the idea of who posts a lot and who doesn't even without the post count... :w

With that much time, you'd be able to figure out very easily who posts a lot just to inflate their post count. ;)

I actually voted to do without it.

It's a burden to stay ahead or try to get ahead of rivals who post lots of pics in the babe section! ;)

Right now, I'm fourth of fifth overall, but once I start my new job in a few weeks, I might fall somewhere to the middle of the pack. My current job allows lots of free time, but this will end.

If we did without post counts then I wouldn't feel compelled to post as much nonsense or ill-considered posts as I do. ;)

We could still tell the newbies by the newbie title.

I think the post count and registration date are an important information to identify and evaluate a member. Not the quality of his posts, but just to see if he is a regular, a frequent poster, a newbie or occasional poster.

It´s true that from a certain point on this number becomes irrelevant (500, 1000 or 3000 posts, it doesn't matter), but for new members it is useful information.

I remember a different board where it was decided to make this information invisible, and then there was some confusion when new members registered who had a similar board nick to regular members. There is still the avatar, but that can be changed anytime is not relly part of the "ID card" of a member. It clearly appeared necessary to display at least the ranks based on the post count.

I, being a moron, voted the wrong way: voted NO when I meant ot vote Yes.

But anyhow, I don't think it's a big deal.

It's actually kind of fun to watch the top competitors jockeying.

Perhaps we should have a rundown of each weeks posting activity-- like a sports page.

--eric

According to several studies by some of the leading behavioral scientists in the world, the problems of over-posting (as well as under-posting) often go unnoticed, and can lead to serious health issues. Naturally, the numbers vary a bit from study to study, but on average, they generally agree that a healthy, normal, well-adjusted person who joined this board around the time of its inception should currently be somewhere in the general neighborhood of 700 posts (give or take a few, of course).

I rarely look at my own totals, so I'll have to take a look and see where I am after I finish this post...

I dunno.

But I think the real high art lies in posting a lot and still have something relevant to say. If someone here visibly posted here continuously just for the post count, he or she certainly would get some feedback or be ignored.

Mike, I'm not sure about some of these posts of yours...

;)