• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Brad said:

That place is a hellhole. 

Chicago ranks down there as well. If you order anything from Dusty Groove via media mail, expect the distribution center to sit on it for up to four weeks while they play cards.

20 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Chicago ranks down there as well. If you order anything from Dusty Groove via media mail, expect the distribution center to sit on it for up to four weeks while they play cards.

I’ve never had that experience with them. Everything gets delivered relatively quickly. 

My dusty groove experience vis a vis the USPS is somewhere in between that of Brad and Ken.  Probably about half the time it sits in Chicago and the other half, reasonably quick delivery.

Another board member sent me a Mosaic big box via media mail during the height of the pandemic the week before Thanksgiving (Nov 2020) — when so much regular mail was just starting to taking weeks to be delivered.

And he sent it media-mail from Santa Barbara CA to Washington DC — door to door — in 36 or 37 HOURS!!!  That was based on the timestamp of the transaction at his post office, and the timestamp of when it arrived at the front desk of our apartment building (both from USPS and my bldg’s package checkin system).  36 or 37 hours!! — media mail!!! :blink::blink::blink:

I’ve also gotten most media-mail packages from Dusty Groove in about 4-5 days at most, sometimes as little as 3 days.

Not 100% service like that, but all in all I’ve rarely had USPS package delivery complaints in over 30 years of buying stuff online and tons from Mosaic, etc.

The pandemic was a different situation.  I live in NJ and I had a cd sent from NY take three months to get here. It sat in Jersey City forever and then it was shipped to a town near me and then to Florida. It then returned to NJ but to Kearney, which is more efficient, and finally found it’s way to me. 

Among the issues I've had with media mail:

A promotional order that had obviously sat outside in a puddle inside a bin. The carrier actually rang my doorbell and handed it to me, the traycard of the CD at the bottom was soaked.

I sold a CD a few years ago and the tracking bounced around for two months as the package reached various cities, only to return to me torn open and empty.

One genus carrier left a LP mailer between my mailbox and its flag on a hot summer day, rather than take a few steps to put is on our shady covered porch. This oop LP was warped beyond recognition.

I have lost count of how many times the USPS has played pinball with media mail, bouncing it around across the country, down to Florida, sometimes getting to our regional post office only to go farther away instead of to our post office.

On the other hand, the counter staff I've dealt with have been great and know their jobs, they have saved me from two or three misaddressed envelopes in the past year.

And here is your update:

The innocent CD envelope made it to Ybor City yesterday, which is supposed to be last stop before my Post Office in Plant City and my mailbox.

So where is it this morning? A completely wrong post office which is getting ready to put it on some truck for a delivery to god knows where.  Or maybe a return to Ybor City and a do-over.  I said it 9 years ago it deserves repeating yet again:

THE USPS SUCKS.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 074942.jpg

7 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

LOL!

I see now that I mis-read the tweet!

The tweet is referring to the mail-in ballots that are mailed to everyone.

When I saw it at 3:00 am, I thought it was about stores mailing the guns to their customers, thereby making it difficult for people to obtain them (because "The USPS SUCKS!").

I had a Mosaic set mailed from Marysville, OH on the 25th via Media Mail, it arrived here today, the 29th.

Routed straight from Columbus to Dallas, then out to the usual centers for delivery to Plano.

My USPS most definitely does NOT suck!

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good until today.

Package supposed to be delivered to Santa Fe. 

Here's the current route - Salt Lake City to Albuquerque to Arroyo Seco to Taos, now back to Albuquerque to start over to Santa Fe. At least it's not "lost".

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Is that Media Mail?

No.  The very nice postal lady (actually picked up the phone) in Arroyo Seco said I could come & pick it up. Since that's a 200 mile round trip, I said no thanks. Therefore, it's embarking on the route I noted above. 

As an aside, the population of Arroyo Seco is less than 2,000. I'm surprised they even have a post office.

Edited by jlhoots

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

How's the food there?

There's always Abe's Cantina y Cocina. Never been there, Abe's or Arroyo Seco.

BTW, Abe's (open since 1945) is closed on Sat. & Sun.!! 😎

Edited by jlhoots