Art Pepper's 1st Contemporary session, November 26, 1956

JamesAHarrod

Art Pepper and Warne Marsh completists will want to acquire Laurie Pepper’s joint release with the Los Angeles Jazz Institute of rare and unissued Art Pepper sessions. The Pepper/Marsh track is an alternate of AVALON, the master take (Ed Michel’s choice) was issued on the Victor (Japan) Art Pepper With Warne Marsh CD (VDJ-1577) 1986. The release also has previously unissued tracks from Art Pepper Plus Eleven, Gettin’ Together, Smack Up, and Intensity. Laurie Pepper’s version is Antique Art Pepper and the LAJI version is Over The Rainbow - Rare and Unissued Art Pepper 1949-1960. This alternate take of Avalon brings the total timing of music from this session to sixty minutes, music that could have aided the careers of Pepper and Marsh if it had been released back then. John Litweiler gave The Way It Was (6 tracks from the session) a five star review in Down Beat when it was released in 1973.

The LAJI edition is a CD with an eight page booklet of notes by Ken Poston. I believe that Laurie Pepper's edition is a download only with a pdf. of Ken's notes. Over The Rainbow is the twelfth limited edition CD release by the LAJI. Ken produces these as a fund raiser for the institute and offers them as a member bonus. Annual membership is $50. Here are the details from the tray liner.

post-10688-0-16436700-1426854519_thumb.j

Edited by James Harrod

Yeah, I only have the old Contemporary LP but it's a gas. Will have to get these extra tracks.

Weren't there alternates on the OJC reissue?

Yes, two alternate takes, one of "I Can't Believe that You're in Love with Me" and one of "All the Things You Are." About 12 minutes of extra music.

Edited to add that there are about 11 bonus tracks altogether on the late 50s-60 Pepper OJCs. I'd think that would cover the lion's share of those on this new issue, no?

gregmo

Edited by Greg M.