Font display on Google Chrome

Wonder if anyone can help me here.

A few days back I returned to the computer to find that it seemed to have restarted. When I logged in everything returned super quick - but the fonts on Google Chrome had changed to something I can only describe as like a badly printed book (Everyman Classics MS perhaps!).

I've tried fiddling in advanced settings with fonts, size etc but can't get it back.

Any suggestions as to what might have changed?

It gives me a headache looking at it.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I've had a similar problem in Chrome (display fonts all defaulted to italic), and Googling "chrome font problem" turns up many, many reports of people with similar issues. I tried all sorts of recommended fixes, and none of them worked, but the config change detailed in this brief YouTube video appears to have fixed the problem for me on the affected computer. May not fix your problem, but it's worth a try as it's a simple change.

http://youtu.be/cHHBnHRcOjQ

if we're talking about everything in google getting too large all of a sudden, then this worked for me:

on the shortcut that you use for opening google chrome, right click, then select properties, and in target, add on end:

a space, then: /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1

example

old

"C:\Documents and Settings\test\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

new

"C:\Documents and Settings\test\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1

then click 'ok', and try opening google from that shortcut.

source

http://superuser.com/questions/803710/chrome-37-ui-got-larger-and-became-blurry-on-125-dpi

This is primarily about italics, but the entire thread is worth reading for other suggestions:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=408393

Since you mentioned that your computer "seemed to have restarted", do you by any chance have Windows updates set to automatically download and install? Wondering if this was triggered by a security update, as has been reported on occasion by other Chrome users.

When I opened IE it told me I'd had a malware attack that Norton had dealt with. Seems the change must have been connected with that. IE is in the same font as Chrome.

I suspect the Chrome resetting might be what I have to do.

Chrome has been temperamental for the last few weeks - crashing once or twice a day when I try to open a web page. Suspect that is to do with an automatic update somewhere that has introduced clashes.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yeah, this definitely sounds like a Windows and not a Chrome issue if it's happening across multiple browsers. Since Chrome's been unstable recently for you, a reset/reinstall wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's almost certainly not going to fix the font issue if the font issue's showing up in IE as well.

Some additional details as to the malware that was removed might be helpful - if you didn't capture the info on the screen in IE that notified you about it, you may be able to run a report out of Norton directly and Google the malware specifics to see if anyone else has reported font problems in connection with it.