Harper Lee to publish second novel

jazzbo

I'm probably one of the few members of the American reading public who hasn't read To Kill a Mockingbird so, If I get around to it, I'll be able to read her books in the order in which they were written.

I skipped American lit. in high school, and so I never read Catcher in the Rye or To Kill a Mockingbird. (I caught up on most of the other readings.) I do mean to get to Mockingbird one day, and maybe I will read them in the proper order.

Ok so now that I read the piece it turns out Go Set the Watchman is written earlier but is actually a sequel. It is about Scout as a young woman. And even Atticus is in the book. That's kind of intriguing, but it will be really curious how it gets reviewed. It's probably one of those books that will be review-proof.

Edited by ejp626

I've always suspected that Truman Capote (a neighbor and friend of the Lees) had a hand in helping Harper Lee finish and polish "Mockingbird." I've always thought it was highly unusual for Harper Lee to publish one novel yet not have the usual writing apprenticeship or occasional writings that other writers have. Which is to say, you expect wood shavings in a carpenter's shop. Maybe this equel is her wood shavings.

It will be interesting to compare "Watchman" to Mockingbird, and see if there is consistency of style and craftsmanship between them, if they seem from the same hand.

The movie, "Capote," shows Capote and Harper Lee working together on the investigation and book (strange to think about), so maybe it worked the other way around? Interesting! Unless Harper Lee says something about it, doubt that will be definitively established. That's why "Watchman" could be pretty interesting.

I'm probably one of the few members of the American reading public who hasn't read To Kill a Mockingbird so, If I get around to it, I'll be able to read her books in the order in which they were written.

I skipped American lit. in high school, and so I never read Catcher in the Rye or To Kill a Mockingbird. (I caught up on most of the other readings.) I do mean to get to Mockingbird one day, and maybe I will read them in the proper order.

Ok so now that I read the piece it turns out Go Set the Watchman is written earlier but is actually a sequel. It is about Scout as a young woman. And even Atticus is in the book. That's kind of intriguing, but it will be really curious how it gets reviewed. It's probably one of those books that will be review-proof.

Yes, I meant to type "sequel" but "prequel" came out. Sorry.

Well, at least you've seen an episode of Star Trek, right?

Have to admit that I've never watched a complete episode. Do I have to leave the country, the world, the universe? :P

You must be an orphan from the Delta Quadrant.

I've never read TKAM. Maybe I've seen a complete Star Trek episode -- I'm not sure. I know I fell asleep during the first Star Trek movie, so I only saw the beginning and end of that.

I've think I may be an orphan from Delta Burke.

Hmm. I'm struggling here. Would it have been worth missing To Kill a Mocking Bird in order to avoid Catcher in the Rye? Tough call.

Then again,it's entirely possible that, had I read them in high school, that would be reversed.