Cecil Taylor Interview

paul secor

If anyone knows the interviewer-- who did some fine work, esp. getting Cecil on poetry-- &/or website, they really ought to fix some of these things

Obviously I'm fascinated with words. And without thinking of rhythm in language, but knowing that it's there, and reading a lot of different people, finally what happens is the same thing that happens when we are involved in music. I listen to a lot of different music. For instance, today I listened to Chinese Classical music--which I really didn't dig too much, but I'll listen to it again--I listened to Islamic chants that really knocked me the fuck out. And just single voices. I listened to Duke Ellington's Orchestra circa 1945-- there was one piece that was just amazing. I listened to Victoria de los Angeles singing Purcell's "Diedere and something or other..." and then I listened to Gary Grafman playing the first movement of the Brahms piano concerto. Brahms, boy I tell you--then I listened to Leonard T. Price singing the last movement of Richard Strauss' "Solome." Boy--what what a-- wheeew--boy, that guy--I have to go to see that guy. A lot of shit was up.

DIdo [and Aneas]

LEONTYNE PRICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7XmOLcd1cw

Salome

the misspellings per se no big deal but if one misses the Leontyne Price & Cecil connections, one missses LOTS.