Gerald Wiggins - Wiggin' Out

JSngry

jerry_wiggins._jackie_mills._harold_land

All those Sonny Stitt records with organ where he's playing nice and groovy for the people, right? You know all of those records?

THIS is what everybody involved probably thought they were doing. Other than mabye DJ Lounge (and then, thanks to John Board), sorry, close, but no.

Harold Land is like oiled mercury, Wig is like, ok, floorshow and dinneranddancing music at once, hey, we can do that, and Jackie Mills is THE SECRET WEAPON BOMB - all swing, from the hips, please, not just the feet and/or fingertips, no, movin' dat ass baby, Night In Tunisia as shimmy dance, well DUH OF COURSE!

Beautifully un-self-conscious groovy lounge music organ trio JAZZ, hello world, doggone ya'. Soul out the ass, mopping and waxing the floor for your dancing and listening smoothness pleasure.

Recommended for any tastes that don't believe in old-fashioned as an eventuality of inevitability,.

Not understanding why it took me until the recently-turned age of 59 to find out about this record...minimal pimpage across the net abounds in its absence, how does that happen? I mean geez, Harold Land here is like the daddy that every baby needs and the Daddy that every Baby craves. and that Jackie Mills bass drum...secret weapon, I tell you. Hips, not hip, ok?

For its own time/place/purpose, this is every bit the music as Face To Face, like the side of the house that Mrs. Freeman wished that Von would have put his shirt on and posed in front of.

Proper attention has not been paid, and probably won't be. But let me not be That Guy.

Right. He made two organ records, I believe. This one came up on an E-Bay auction from a long time Grand Rapids area rock and roll disc jockey, Aris Hampers, and I picked it up, the original vinyl. Jim's description is right on the money.

By the way, I've had several listeners comment on it, too; usually to the tune of, that was the shizznit.

I bought that one immediately after the Fresh Sound vinyl reissue was out. Sounds great, too. Love it! Highly recommended for a slightly different organ trio experience.

Same here - almost. Must have had it for some 15 years now. Different from the Wiggins date that originally was on the DIG label that I had purchased earlier but a safe bet anyway.

excellent date, def. overlooked as an OJC though ezz-thetically, it's cool Fantasy didn't dump it into the oft misnamed if otherwise largely excellent "Acid Jazz" series, perhaps coupled with Wiggins' other organ + deep south transplant to L.A. tenor corker--

IIRC Fantasy never reissued Contemporary or HiFiJazz albums inthe Acid Jazz series, only Prestige dates. But I agree they slept on this one.

The OJC CD is out there, with a copyright date of 1999.

15+ years, I still don't see how there's been no heads-up on this, given all the OJC-ness of our times.

I only found out about it because a buddy passed along a copy of some Euro-generic DL-only Hip Jazz Tracks For People Who Want Some Hip Jazz Track On Their Playlist type of things. The title cut was on there as by Gerald Wiggins, nothing else, no label/album credits (DUH), so I looked around and voila there it was, OJC OOP, but I found a copy with a notch in the case for 7 bucks, Amazon reseller

excellent date, def. overlooked as an OJC though ezz-thetically, it's cool Fantasy didn't dump it into the oft misnamed if otherwise largely excellent "Acid Jazz" series, perhaps coupled with Wiggins' other organ + deep south transplant to L.A. tenor corker--

IIRC Fantasy never reissued Contemporary or HiFiJazz albums inthe Acid Jazz series, only Prestige dates. But I agree they slept on this one.

there's at least the Sonny Stitt Jazzland album with Patterson and Weeden...

:lol::lol:

Now all this hullaballoo has prompted me to pull that album out again (after years ...) and give it a spin.

Nice, yes ... totally ... and I can get the groove that this album radiates, but please ... no need IMO to go overboard like that ... it IS nice, but I know from the little I have heard of the Scotts (Shirley and Rhoda), for example, that there is plenty out there that will get open-eared listeners in just as much of an organ-led groove in not such a different vein at all (organ isn't all Jimmy Smith or McDuff or ..., is it?). Harold Land may be more straight-ahead "modern jazzy" here and less gritty, "soul-jazzy" than Jaws in his cooperations with Shirley Scott (MG, what would YOU think?? :D ) but that should not be the main factor ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

:lol::lol:

Now all this hullaballoo has prompted me to pull that album out again (after years ...) and give it a spin.

Nice, yes ... totally ... and I can get the groove that this album radiates, but please ... no need IMO to go overboard like that ... it IS nice, but I know from the little I have heard of the Scotts (Shirley and Rhoda), for example, that there is plenty out there that will get open-eared listeners in just as much of an organ-led groove in not such a different vein at all (organ isn't all Jimmy Smith or McDuff or ..., is it?). Harold Land may be more straight-ahead "modern jazzy" here and less gritty, "soul-jazzy" than Jaws in his cooperations with Shirley Scott (MG, what would YOU think?? :D ) but that should not be the main factor ...

Jackie Mills, baby, Jackie Mills.

Let's talk about those Milt Bucker/Jo Jones things while we're at it, and then adjust the tint button on the Milt Buckner set, roll off the green and use what goes away to fill into Sonny Stitt. Or if your TV is not programmed for that, just play THIS record, more fun, less work, win-win, with the added advantage og TV-lessness.