RIP Donna Douglas

Hogan's Heroes -- now that to me was a juvenile show. Yeah, I'm sure life in a German POW camp must have been a nonstop wacky chucklefest for all concerned. I'm surprised the WWII veterans who actually survived such experiences did not organize to protest the show. But that was then, back before every one felt entitled to express their "outrage" over every public issue imaginable

Funny, I remember my dad hating that show for the reasons you described.

TV sitcoms just went wild in the 1960's. Sitcoms of the 1950's were basically shows brought over from radio: Father Knows Best, Burns & Allen, Our Miss Brooks, Amos & Andy, Jack Benny Show, Ozzie & Harriet, even I Love Lucy was just a reworking of Ms. Ball's radio series, My Favorite Husband. Domestic sitcoms were the norm on TV for a while, things like Make Room For Daddy and Leave It To Beaver.

Then in the 1960's there were suddenly all these sitcoms that were basically cartoons for grownups (as well as kids) -- shows like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, My Favorite Martian, F Troop, Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, Batman, and yes, the likes of The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Hogan's Heroes and McHale's Navy. Each of these shows was pretty successful, so there must have been a sizable audience for escapist fare like that at the time.

She used to show up in Branson quite a bit later in life. Guy I work with met her once and said she was just as nice as could be. That she really spent time talking with fans and simply getting into "normal" conversations with them.

That actually says a lot about the kind of person she was.

I know a guy who saw her walking through an airport and he, being quite a wise guy, yelled out, "Hey Ellie May!!!" and immediately thought UH-oh, but Ms. Douglas just looked at him, smiled, waved, and yelled back "Howdy!".

Hard to argue with that!

Sounds about right.

There was some kind of festival they'd have down in Branson every year, and she'd be there more often than not. That's where my co-worker ran into her. Said many of the artists there would be sitting at tables and signing autographs, but she'd mingle and just strike up random conversations.

Random gal. Random folk. Match made in heaven, I suppose.

Good for her, and good for her fans.