2014 NFL Season

To this relative novice, Fox does look good on a sideline, but something for sure didn't go right in Denver this year and maybe before that there as well.

Things obviously went pretty well there last year since they made a Superbowl appearance. ;)

The problem is Peyton Manning is 38 y.o., and his career is essentially over. Now that Fox has been jettisoned, that will perhaps seal the deal for Manning. Unless Gace stays and takes over the reins. The last thing Peyton would have any patience for at this point in his career is learning a new playbook. And I believe Thomas and Thomas are both FAs this offseason. Losing either would be a pretty huge blow to that offense.

From the Denver Post:

"[John] Elway had issues over the past four years with the way the team was prepared and its mental toughness.

"It was particularly disturbing the way the team performed coming off a playoff bye, with two stunning home playoff losses as heavy favorites in the past three years."

Can't be sure, but I'll bet there are some further stories to be told here, on all sides. The Post story adds that Fox wanted more say over draft choices and roster moves than he had had and that he wasn't going to get it.

Further, from veteran sportswriter Woody Paige: "The players loved playing for Fox, but he wasn't a forceful enough coach with players when it was necessary."

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott: I've since been reliably informed that Elway is a difficult-to-work-for near psychopath. So Fox just might be close to solid gold.

*dingdingdingdingding*

Not sure about the "near psychopath" part, but I wouldn't be hard to convince.

Elway has an out-sized ego, and has always been a prima donna, and I think Woody is right on the money when it comes to Fox because that's always been his m.o. And Woody knows his shit.

Pretty volatile situation when you really contemplate it. Perfectionist QB (whose ego actually seems to be perfectly in check), egotistical ex-QB who likely still thinks he walks on water, and a player-friendly head coach, with a record that could easily be rubbed in the nose of any power mad GM, trying to bridge the gap.

Thanks for posting all of that info. None of it surprising, but seeing it all consolidated and easily digestible really connects almost all of the dots.

Bottom line: IMO, the Broncos window has just been slammed shut...

Fox may be the new Tony Dungy. Just what you need to get them there, just not the right personality to get them over the top.

*edit*

BTW, Larry. If you haven't seen the 30 For 30 titled From Elway To Marino, I'd highly encourage you to check it out. It's currently available on Netflix. It really underscores Elway's personality and ego, and backs your source in many ways.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Elway story I heard on the radio today. Some ways back, he installed in his basement at considerable expense an elaborate replica 19th Century Wild West barroom that was built around a gorgeous vintage pool table -- pool being a sport at which Elway considered himself an expert with some justification; since the replica barroom was installed, he had never lost a game there. Then one night QB Bubby Brister dropped by for a visit, pool was played and Brister prevailed. The next morning Elway had the pool table and the whole barroom removed from his house.

Print source:

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/may/03/sports/sp-33599/2

OTOH, thoughts on John Fox from veteran pro football commentator Hub Arkush:

"If Fox couldn’t win a playoff game with Peyton Manning, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, Ryan Clady, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, Aqib Talib and so much more, what makes him the right guy for the Bears?

"The answer to why Fox is out in Denver is simple. The Broncos broke the bank this year to give him everything he needed to win a title, they appeared to be the most complete and star-laden team in the NFL from Day 1 of the season and yet, after being embarrassed in the Super Bowl last year, they couldn’t win a playoff game at home against a flawed Indianapolis club."

Elway story I heard on the radio today. Some ways back, he installed in his basement at considerable expense an elaborate replica 19th Century Wild West barroom that was built around a gorgeous vintage pool table -- pool being a sport at which Elway considered himself an expert with some justification; since the replica barroom was installed, he had never lost a game there. Then one night QB Bubby Brister dropped by for a visit, pool was played and Brister prevailed. The next morning Elway had the pool table and the whole barroom removed from his house.

Print source:

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/may/03/sports/sp-33599/2

Over the years, I've seen many stories about Elway's lack of business acumen. Here's a summary I dug up:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16330251

I don't have an opinion specifically about the Patriots, the under-inflated footballs or who is to blame.

But I have a couple of thoughts that are more universal in scope.

1) If a team is found to have deliberately broken a rule, the penalty should be forfeiture of the game. If forfeiture seems too harsh, maybe that rule shouldn't exist.

2) I think the wrong people are required to take the fall. I don't believe in suspensions. I believe in expulsion. And I feel that the first person to be considered for expulsion should often be the team owner.

I am almost done with "sports" as an interest. Too much BS.

I hope the "almost" ends soon.

This whole "deflate-gate" thing, and this whole season, has killed any further interest in the NFL for me, it's just so ridiculous now, that I'm done. Keeping with baseball, and that's it.

Belicheck should be stripped of his hoodie.

NEP should forfeit the AFC Championship game. Won't happen, but that's the right thing for cheating.

Please...

Isn't cheating supposed to give you an advantage? They scored more points in the second half, using "properly" inflated balls, than the Colts did the entire game.

Much ado about absolutely nothing.

Cheating is an attempt to give one an advantage. If the attempt was made here by the Pats and it proved not to be necessary because other more significant factors were in play -- in particular, that the Pats are a much better team than the Colts, as they are -- that says nothing one way or the other about the reality of the alleged attempt.

Also, the outcome of that game was a one-instance case. Was the fact that batter X did not hit a home run in a particular turn at bat proof that he wasn't taking PEDs or that PEDs have no effect on one's performance as a batter?

One AB compared to 30 official minutes of gameplay? C'mon, Larry.

If this had resulted in anything showing a positive outcome, then maybe I could join in with the manufactured outrage that the media has whipped the unsuspecting public into.

Until then, I'm granting this Three-card Monte the weight it deserves. Which is none.

One AB compared to 30 official minutes of gameplay? C'mon, Larry.

If this had resulted in anything showing a positive outcome, then maybe I could join in with the manufactured outrage that the media has whipped the unsuspecting public into.

Until then, I'm granting this Three-card Monte the weight it deserves. Which is none.

Again, the Pats were the much better team. If a fair-to-middling hitter faced a pitcher like Randy Johnson who happened to be throwing a doctored baseball, the hitter probably would have little more chance than if the ball wasn't doctored. But if it was, say, Derek Jeter in his prime facing Johnson, then the latter's doctoring of the ball might significantly affect the outcome -- in one AB or even an entire series or season. In any case, no attempt to cheat, no problem.