Dexter Gordon complete columbia

"Homecoming" for one is essential Dexter.

I've got the old double disc edition and the double LP (missing two tracks later added on CD) - not sure if the box contains a remastered version.

There's a thread about "Sophisticated Giant" somewhere ... the quartet w/Cables is terrific, and the jams with Griffin are fun - guess that about sells it.

I heard most of these when they were released. Homecoming has long tracks (10 - 12 minutes on average) with lots of Woody Shaw, so if you like Woody, you'll like this. The Carnegie Hall tracks are really good (tho imho George Cables's solos could've used some editing), and the duets with Johnny Griffin burn. I also like the duets with Eddie Jefferson. Lots of good Dexter quartet tracks. Really, you can't go wrong.

If you are a fan of Dexter Gordon, this is one to get. As Felser said, this along with the Prestige and Steeplechase recordings are well worth having. Of course, the Blue Note's are a must too.

I think the Blue Notes are absolutely essential. Like the others too, but those Blue Notes.....

gregmo