Advice on new laptop: MacBook or other?

FWIW, I did not mean to imply that photos and media don't look better on the retina screen. They do. I just personally find the effect to be more subtle than with text, and mostly about color depth vs. raw resolution. I think it has to do with how images get scaled from a fixed resolution whereas fonts are stored as curves and rendered at as high a resolution as you want. But I'm not sure.

In any case, it's always a shock to go back to my plain old large screen at work after starting at a retina laptop all weekend. :)

Well, the MacBook Air is here and it is a thing of beauty. Very light and strong. I am absolutely unfamiliar with the OS so that is a learning curve. No judgement on that yet. I am impressed by the way it sets up so quickly to e.g. share with my PC. The keyboard is beautiful and comfortable. I am downloading Office which is taking some time, so I am not exploring too much.

The downside? Very clearly, the display is inferior. I wanted light and cheap(er) for working on the move. But I'd say that if weight and cost are less of a consideration then the retina display is probably a must.

That's my impression so far.

Well, the MacBook Air is here and it is a thing of beauty. Very light and strong. I am absolutely unfamiliar with the OS so that is a learning curve. No judgement on that yet. I am impressed by the way it sets up so quickly to e.g. share with my PC. The keyboard is beautiful and comfortable. I am downloading Office which is taking some time, so I am not exploring too much.

The downside? Very clearly, the display is inferior. I wanted light and cheap(er) for working on the move. But I'd say that if weight and cost are less of a consideration then the retina display is probably a must.

Woohoo!

Don't sweat the OS, David. I switched from Wind'ohs a few years ago. The learning curve might seem steep at first, but OS X is really quite intuitive and user-friendly, IMO. You may struggle with certain things at first, but when you finally figure it out you'll say to yourself, "now that makes perfect sense".

And although I've only fiddled with MacBooks in the Apple store, the quality and build are superior to any other laptop. And that becomes apparent immediately.

Have fun. And though I'm no Mac expert by any stretch of the imagination, feel free to ask if you're having a hard time figuring something out. Though, I don't use Office, so I'd be worthless in that department. I mean, more so than usual...

Woohoo!

Don't sweat the OS, David. I switched from Wind'ohs a few years ago. The learning curve might seem steep at first, but OS X is really quite intuitive and user-friendly, IMO. You may struggle with certain things at first, but when you finally figure it out you'll say to yourself, "now that makes perfect sense".

And although I've only fiddled with MacBooks in the Apple store, the quality and build are superior to any other laptop. And that becomes apparent immediately.

Have fun. And though I'm no Mac expert by any stretch of the imagination, feel free to ask if you're having a hard time figuring something out. Though, I don't use Office, so I'd be worthless in that department. I mean, more so than usual...

Yes I will ask, thank you, although I am the first to tell people that systems are supposed to be intuitive and that you generally get there by trial and error. If you think it probably should do something then it probably does, so figure it out!

David, I recommend you buy an AppleCare extended warranty, because it comes with free tech support for the life of the warranty. That includes expert advice on how to do things, as well as troubleshooting problems. I was on the phone with them for 3 hours today, trying to solve an iTunes problem (we succeeded).

David, I recommend you buy an AppleCare extended warranty, because it comes with free tech support for the life of the warranty. That includes expert advice on how to do things, as well as troubleshooting problems. I was on the phone with them for 3 hours today, trying to solve an iTunes problem (we succeeded).

Yes, Applecare is worth it. Extends the warranty from 1 year to 3 years and you get phone support for the entire time.

Noted!

I didn't "get" iPhoto at first, but now I use it at work all the time.

I've owned a Mac since 1984 and I still don't get (or consequently use) iPhoto ... :P

PS - wholehearted recommendation for the Air of course!

Edited by Eric

I didn't "get" iPhoto at first, but now I use it at work all the time.

I've owned a Mac since 1984 and I still don't get (or consequently use) iPhoto ... :P

PS - wholehearted recommendation for the Air of course!

Good, that makes me feel better hearing that. It's got to be the clunkiest, grouchiest, most useless piece of software ever created. Apple really dropped the ball on that one.

I'm amazed how the trackpad has different functions for one, two or three fingers!

Lot of trial and error to learn this thing...

Just three?

My Magic Trackpad for the iMac has a four finger function as well.

Either way, it IS really cool, isn't it?

You won't get that kind of cool shit out of a mouse! ;)

I'm amazed how the trackpad has different functions for one, two or three fingers!

Lot of trial and error to learn this thing...

Just three?

My Magic Trackpad for the iMac has a four finger function as well.

Either way, it IS really cool, isn't it?

You won't get that kind of cool shit out of a mouse! ;)

Heh heh - got it!