Thelonious Monk Misterioso Columbia LP CL 2416

Teasing the Korean

It is hard to find information on this LP via Google.

First, if you search for "Monk" and "Misterioso," you get a zillion references to the song.

If you search for the LP, you get zillions of hits for the 1958 Riverside LP of the same title.

The Monk Columbia Discography page on Wikipedia omits this album.

And Windows Media Player thinks it is the 1958 album when you pop in the CD.

So who can answer some questions for me.

I have heard - possibly here, buried in a forgotten thread - that some of these tracks are studio tracks with fake crowd sounds. Is this true?

It appears that the Tokyo version of "Evidence" is the same recording as the one on the two-disc Tokyo Concert. Is this correct?

Is the Newport track ("Light Blue") from the same Newport concert as the Monk and Miles at Newport LP?

Have any of the LP's other tracks subsequently shown up on CD or LP with previously unreleased tracks from the concerts from which they were drawn?

Thanks in advance.

It is hard to find information on this LP via Google.

First, if you search for "Monk" and "Misterioso," you get a zillion references to the song.

If you search for the LP, you get zillions of hits for the 1958 Riverside LP of the same title.

The Monk Columbia Discography page on Wikipedia omits this album.

And Windows Media Player thinks it is the 1958 album when you pop in the CD.

So who can answer some questions for me.

I have heard - possibly here, buried in a forgotten thread - that some of these tracks are studio tracks with fake crowd sounds. Is this true?

It appears that the Tokyo version of "Evidence" is the same recording as the one on the two-disc Tokyo Concert. Is this correct?

Is the Newport track ("Light Blue") from the same Newport concert as the Monk and Miles at Newport LP?

Have any of the LP's other tracks subsequently shown up on CD or LP with previously unreleased tracks from the concerts from which they were drawn?

Thanks in advance.

As I do believe yourself asking about "Misterioso" Columbia CL 2416, just for the start :

Thelonious Monk Quartet

Charlie Rouse (tenor saxophone) Thelonious Monk (piano) Larry Gales (bass) Ben Riley (drums)

"The It Club", Los Angeles, CA, October 31, 1964

(a) I`m getting sentimental over you Columbia CL 2416 Columbia Legay C2K 65288

(b) All the things you are Columbia CL 2416, Columbia Legacy C2K 65288

Notes : (a) edited to 5.40 on Columbia CL 2416

http://www.monkbook.com/sessionography/sessionography-1963-1965/

http://www.jazzdisco.org/thelonious-monk/discography/

(here you can find inter alias the cross reference reg "Evidence" and CBS/Sony (J) SOPW-69/70 "Monk in Tokyo")

Edited by soulpope

All titles on the LP were live except for "Honeysuckle Rose" which had fake applause overdubbed by Teo Macero & listed as live at the Village Gate

This was actually from a trio studio date (March 2, 1965). This take (#2) has only ever been released on this LP (plus a euro CD). An alternate take (#1)

from the same session was released on the 3CD "Columbia Years 62-68" set.

Also, "Evidence" was listed as being from the Tokyo, Japan 63 concert (on the LP & earlier discographies) but other discographies list it as being recorded at the Philharmonic Hall with the Big Band in 1963

- I think it was the former

Anyone with an original LP that can have a listen - is it a quartet or Big Band?

http://www.discogs.com/Thelonious-Monk-Misterioso-Recorded-On-Tour/release/5556263

Edited by romualdo

Thank you both.

"Evidence" is indeed the quartet version on my CD copy of "Misterioso" (Columbia). I will check my LP copy also.

Thanks for the discography and sessionography links. I will review those and see if I can post a list here of everything on Misterioso, where it came from, and what else from those sessions has been released.

EDIT: "Evidence" on my copy of the LP is also the quartet version.

Edited by Teasing the Korean