Time: The 13 most influential candy bars

I don't see PayDay, I am not convinced of that list. That's the one I'll eat even when not eating candy!

A fine choice. But ineligible- only CHOCOLATE bars.

We interviewed candy experts and historians to determine which bars made the biggest impact on the chocolate-bar industry—and the world at large.

So much for Abba Zabba

But, but, but...Pay-Day (in its original recipe) was the...Bill Barron of candy bars.

This might be the single greatest post in the history of this board: The ultimate expression of arcane jazz knowledge/geekdom melded with an obscure popular cultural reference. Two great tastes that go great together, all wrapped up and delivered in the nougat of aesthetic superiority.

Bravo!!!

Edited by Mark Stryker

My first thought was that #1 should be the invention of milk chocolate, which the site says was Nestle.

My second thought was that #2 should be the plain Hershey bar, for marketing reason.

And my third thought is that #3 should be the first commercially successful bar to be made of faux chocolate, referred to on the wrapper as "chocolaty." I don't know what that was, but I'm confident that the fact that it sold well was influential.

PS - Let me add a fourth. Canada had a huge bar known as Mr. Big. Now a lot of bars are sold in an extra-big size.

Edited by GA Russell

Hershey's Chocolate Bar will forever be number one in my heart, and please, do not desecrate it with nuts -- nuts to that!

13wmt-articleLarge-v3.jpg

Perhaps it's purely down to being European but I really dislike the taste of Hershey's. Indelible - at least to me. I guess it depends on what you are used to. Me, I like Swiss chocolate.

MI0002984606.jpg

m1fz8c2a6jp0.jpg

and yeah, occasionally I enjoy a Ragusa ... as a kid I ate this crap (ever read how the "smoky" taste is fabricated and what's added to the "glue" in a Mars? you better don't if you want to go on eating this stuff)

here's another Swiss classic that I prefer to Ragusa and that's pretty much no bull-shit as well:

kagi_fret.jpg

some background in this crappy promo that acts like it's news:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/feature/The_secret_of_a_Swiss_sweet_success.html?cid=7818558

Hershey's Chocolate Bar will forever be number one in my heart, and please, do not desecrate it with nuts -- nuts to that!

Perhaps it's purely down to being European but I really dislike the taste of Hershey's. Indelible - at least to me. I guess it depends on what you are used to. Me, I like Swiss chocolate.

this Hershey Milk is quite good imho

5115713_orig.jpg

I think it is a European vs. American thing. I remember the topic of chocolate came up once with a Belgian coworker - he absolutely could not abide American chocolate, and was quite firm in his conviction that it was crap.

• 10 months later...

Are you paid for posting these?

No.

LOL! Chuck, it recently dawned on me what was on your mind when you asked that (if I may say) snarky question.

In fact, many of these articles of lists of recommended items are found as links at the bottom of a news page I am reading. So it is probable that somebody is getting paid for you to click on the links, but it's not me!