Went nuts trying to think of the name of this guy...

fasstrack

....a great tenor player, deceased 5-10 years, maybe 10 years younger than Getz. Lived in Westchester (Tarrytown), according to one account in his car for a time. Recorded a beautiful album with strings before he passed. Played with Woody, Kenton, Maynard, Buddy Rich, Doc Severinson. Any takers?*

*Fair disclosure: The name finally came to my addled brain late last night. Still it's a fun game for you to get it with those scant clues----which are all I have.

Bet one of you nails it and fast.

Edited by fasstrack

Talking about Carmen Leggio, is there any reissue of his 1961 debut album available anywhere? (See below) I only ever saw copies of this LP on eBay in 2001 and 2004 but missed out on both, of course.

According to the discographies (Jepsen, Bruyninckx) this was on Jazz Unlimited JA-1000 but I have a feeling this is not the whole story (or these Jazz Unlimited issues are later pressings).

A friend of mine once had a 45 "Swing With SML" credited to "Carmen Leggio & His SML Tenor" which was on Golden Crest 45-380 and the label said something like "Excerpt from the Golden Crest album CR-380" (I noted this down at the time because I liked the tune and Golden Crest caught my interest as this is a 50s label you do not nomrally associate with straight-ahead jazz.

I canot find any trace of this Golden Crest issue in the discographies, and even less of any 45 culled from this album. This 45 may have been a promo 45 done for the French saxophone manufacturer SML (my friend lives in France so this is not impossible - unfortunately he lost his 45 when his son - then of toddler age - accidentally stepped on it and broke it. I don't think he ever managed to replace it).

16651124sv.jpg

....a great tenor player, deceased 5-10 years, maybe 10 years younger than Getz.

Carmen Leggio was born in the same year as Getz (1927) and died 18 years after Getz (2009).

It was the fact that he played with the Herd some years after Getz that threw me. Thanks for straightening it out.