Schubert piano sonatas recommendations?

Д.Д.

Richter is indeed excellent. Imogen Cooper recorded the later sonatas twice. Her first cycle is very good, haven't heard the second one. Radu Lupu is good too in my opinion, and so is Alfred Brendel, who recorded the later sonatas at least twice; his playing is an acquired taste, though, many people hate his interpretations.

Edited by J.A.W.

I've bought the Radu Lupu box a few months ago ... have never systematically started exploring it, but must have played at least half of it ... excellent, I'd say! His recordings of the two sets of Impromptus is included as well and is wonderful.

Other than that, inevitably: Schnabel! His D 960 is one of those life-changing experiences to be gained from music - in my book at least.

There are also two that Jorge Bolet recorded (D 959 and D 784), available on a Decca CD (or as part of the dirt-cheap box set, wish that had been around when I searched for Bolet recordings).

There's also a recent reissue on Arcana of Paul Badura-Skoda's complete recording on period instruments (rec. early/mid 90s). I bought it, but have not listened to any of it yet, so can't say anything.

Badura-Skoda plays very nice vintage pianos and has that genuine Viennese feeling, but there are other pianists playing more accurately. Staier is a bit cool at times.

If you would go with single discs I would recommed Immerseel, his one disc on a small Dutch label is desert island stuff, but I just noticed the label's website gone and it is not even listed on amazon ...

There are very moving discs by the late Nikolaus Lahusen, they are very personal as he died shortly after their release at a rather young age:

51NLMcOsLQL.jpg51LSXbOn24L.jpg

Mitsuko Uchida's cycle on Philips gets a lot of rave reviews. I own it; the recorded sound is stunning, but the playing, at least so far in my listening, leaves me a little cold. Maybe I'll change my mind (I hope so) with continued listening. Right now, I prefer Kempff (as far as cycles go) on DG. Kempff's playing might be more polite (maybe some would say "poetic") than "intellectual," but there's also a sense of effortless grace and forward motion. Maybe it's just that I seem to like my Schubert not-too-heavy. Regardless, I would recommend the Kempff box as a good starting point to explore Schubert's sonatas. I'm still very much "learning" them.

Richter, of course, has a special way with Schubert. The various titles on Olympia/Regis/Alto are worth picking up.

Forgot to mention Clifford Curzon, although he recorded only a couple of sonatas. His recordings of the Impromptus and Moments musicaux are magical. One of the great but underrated pianists of the 20th Century in my view.

Edited by J.A.W.

Some personal favourites (beneath the already mentioned Richter and Lupu)

Austrian pianist Gilbert Schuchter - more or less complete Schubert (Tudor, unfortunately out of print)

Rafael Oroszco 960 (Auvidis Valois, out of print)

Rudolf Serkin 840, 859 and 960 (Sony)

and as a real "dark horse",

Karl Betz performs an excellent D960 (Christophorus) and some marvellous "Ländler" (Koch Schwann)

actually did I mention Fritz Gulda ;-)) ?!?!?!

Can't really imagine Kempff doing Schubert ... not able to say why, but I can't see his style being fitting too well (and that's not against Kempff at all, I've got a variety of recordings of his, solo, concertos, also some chamber, and love most of them).

Kempff's Schubert got some very mixed reviews here. He's not the most likely Schubert interpreter to my ears either.

Edited by J.A.W.

I've recently enjoyed a lot what Schubert there is in the big Decca box by Clifford Curzon though! That's some heavy stuff there ... but it comes from a rather different place than Kempff, I think (more like the Schnabel line, if I dare mention that name again).

That Curzon box is a gem, even though not everything in it is my cup of tea. He's one of my all-time favourite pianists.

• 2 weeks later...