Axis Bold as Love outtakes?

Big Al

I saw a 2-CD set today called Axis Outtakes. Apparently, this set contains all the outtakes from the Axis sessions.

I guess there's a market for this; I guess I'm just curious as to how much Hendrix does one need in one's life? I mean, there's certainly no shortage of Hendrix ANYTHING out there: live sessions, studio sessions, outtakes, alternate takes, etc etc etc etc. I know this guy laid down a lot of material, but I have to wonder were Hendrix alive today, how much of this stuff would he allow to see the light of day?

It seems like every few years or so, the Hendrix tapes fall into the hands of a different owner, who "remasters" the first three albums, puts out a "greatest hits" package, then tries to reconstruct that elusive fourth and/or fifth albums.

And yet, it seems to be wildly successful. I don't get it. How many versions of Axis: Bold as Love does one need?

Just wonderin....... :huh:

I've owned numerous Hendrix releases over the years, but I'm down to the bare minimum now that I will keep.

"Are Your Experienced?"

"Axis: Bold as Love"

"Electric Ladyland"

"Band of Gypsies"

"Cry of Love"

Good enough for me. All Japanese Experience Hendrix or Polydor issues.

Edited by undergroundagent

Those are just remixes of tracks from the Axis album on disc one, I've heard. Disc Two has some very interesting material not related to the original album.

I have over sixty Hendrix releases . . . mostly of course unofficial. I find that much of the unreleased material I like better than the released.

I feel about Hendrix's music the way that I feel about Monk's, Miles', Mingus', Ellington-Strayhorn's and some others: I find value in all that I have heard.

Neither, this and a Hawaii concert two cd set have been released by a British company that purports to be "official" but is actually a company that has been releasing boots. . . .

I'm puzzled that these have been distributed. Perhaps the estate has made an arrangement for these, but there is nothing anywhere that I have located that makes mention of autorization.

I had a Maui concert on cassette at one point in time. Sounded dammmmn good. I lent it to a friend who was a big Hendrix fan, but not a music collector. I guess he decided he needed a cornerstone to start a collection on. Haven't seen or heard it since.

That's ok. He should have it.

Lon, have you heard the CD release? How does it sound? I wonder if its the same show?

I have the cds of the Maui shows yes (two sets/shows). The sound is pretty good, it's been cedarized a little too heavily but not prohibitively. I have another bootleg version of the shows that sounds a bit better, noisier with tape hiss though. This outher set also contains about fifteen minutes more material (though the new one says it's complete for the first time!)

Al, B) back at ya. :g:g

The world of Jimi boots to me is more exciting than the world of Jimi official releases.

Al,  B) back at ya. :g  :g

:g:g:g:g:tup

Guess I really shouldn't question others' desire to grab as much of their favorite artist as possible: I just walked outta the CD store the other day with 4 XTC remasters. B) indeed!

I just wonder about the companies putting out the material, slapping the Hendrix name on a product in hopes of making a fast buck. Not that there's anything new about that; but I've always felt that there is such a thing as oversaturation, which IMHO diminishes the importance of the original work.

Then again, Hendrix's playing really could be that special. I know I remain mesmerized whenever I watch his performance at Woodstock! :excited:

Edited by Big Al

I think that thogh there may be companies looking to make a "fast buck" out of Hendrix's music, many of these releases may be by fans who want to share the music. I hardly think anyone is sailing on a yacht financed by their Jimi boot sales, but I could be wrong.

For a number of years I sat around listening to the official releases only of Jimi's records and then began dipping my toe into the bootleg world. And I found that a lot of the best of his music--for ME, my choices--is in the bootleg releases. So this fuels the search. His live performances can have some spectacular playing, as well as some of the studio jams and new songs he had worked on but not completed to his satisfaction (he was rarely satisfied with playing that knocks the rest of us spinning) or early versions of released material that went in a totally different direction.

I think that Jimi was a real cornerstone figure in a lot of the popular/rock/funk/blues/fusion music that followed, and his efforts are worth finding and digesting and I'm glad there are conduits to hear the stuff. It is enrichening all my musical listening. By the same token, XTC does nada for me, and I don't own a single release. The world goes round in so many different ways.

That's cool; and there's a lot to what you say that I can appreciate, foremost being the desire to hear (through the artist's playing) how the artist's mind/creative process works. It can definitely be fascinating!

As for me & XTC, what can I say? Their bass player convinced me to rip the frets outta my own bass! ;) B)

I really wish that Jimi & Gil could have made that album together, only I wish it would have been a few years later than it was supposed to have bee, when Gil got his electronic pallate totally happening.

Can you imagine Jimi & George Adams doing "The Meaning Of The Blues" togeher on THERE COMES A TIME? Oh....My....God....

I'm the same way about quite a few bands. The Velvet Underground is one, The Black Crowes, believe it or not, are another. If people ever start taping Dave Douglas shows, though, I will be on those like white on rice. Basically, as long as its improvisatory in nature, I will be there to take a listen. And the best way to do that is to do it with the live stuff.

Lonson...if you've only got 100 Hendrix boots, you're a lightweight compared the more serious Phish fans that I hang with. I'm considered a lightweight at somewhere near 280 shows...lol...of course, they've been playing for 21 years at this point, as opposed to Jimi's 7 or 8...