Blue Note musicians - geography and cartography

Nothing to peruse there, I think - just that one map. Would be great to get the names to the "dots", but I guess that would be asking too much!

One would assume they already have the data necessary to do that. Not sure what tools they used to build the map, but if they're open-source it would be nice if the source was released to let those who are interested build further upon this foundation.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to understand how to use this site/page, but can't work it out.

Help?

MG

Neither could I.

Below the second map is a bar that says "Showing all performers who played a session between 1943 and 1967". There is a circle at each end. Pull the circles in to set the beginning and end dates. Those performers who played within that date will be shown below the graph, with others grayed out.

Edited by alankin

Hey - that Michael Schmidt was here in Wiesbaden some two years ago and was referred to me by a mutual friend. I recommended the Darmstadt Jazz Institute and gave him an interview about the local scene - a Texan of German descent researching a thesis on the German jazz scene - very nice guy. Even nicer to see some of the results of his work.

Help?

MG

Neither could I.

Below the second map is a bar that says "Showing all performers who played a session between 1943 and 1967". There is a circle at each end. Pull the circles in to set the beginning and end dates. Those performers who played within that date will be shown below the graph, with others grayed out.

Still can't get anything to happen. Maybe it's me.

Help?

MG

Neither could I.

Still can't get anything to happen. Maybe it's me.

I got it to work. Interesting so just capture a year at the beginning, then move the timeframe forward slowly. All musicians in the early days seemed to come from east of the Mississippi.

MG