Bad re-issue covers

Hardbopjazz

The goin' west cover was around the time this Silver records was reissued.

Dude, I don't think so. GOIN' WEST had come and gone by then. As far as I know, it's only had the one cover, unless there was an Applause thing I missed. But that would have been early-80s.

I could be wrong, though.

Dude, I don't think so. GOIN' WEST had come and gone by then. As far as I know, it's only had the one cover, unless there was an Applause thing I missed. But that would have been early-80s.

you're wrong (I think) I distinctly remember seeing a very ugly "mood"-photo with a guitar on a bluish background.

you're wrong (I think) I distinctly remember seeing a very ugly "mood"-photo with a guitar on a bluish background.

Yes, that's the one. Need to find a photo of this.

• 4 weeks later...

green_grant_goinwestj_101b.jpg

Who designed this epitome of good taste, BTW?

This is completely atypical for a 1962 Blue Note cover, but it has the issue number 84310, making it a vault issue from the 1970's - I couldn't find any other cover, the blueish ones all were for albums released soon after recording. Considering most of Green's piano quartet session stayed in the can for several years ...

Edited by mikeweil

green_grant_goinwestj_101b.jpg

Who designed this epitome of good taste, BTW?

There is no credit for that anywhere on the album. ANYWHERE!

There are, however, two miniscule Roman numeral copyright dates of 1969.

I'm with Lon - I like this cover quite a bit. The smaller size of online scans (and, I suspect, the upcoming CD covers) compress what on the LP is the use of whatever you call that effect of creating images through dots, like the photo of Blakey on INDESTRUCTABLE. This effect is used on the background colors, which are significantly more diffuse as a result of the larger size, and this creates a totally different visual ambiance. Another incident of LP superiority! :g

I'll agree that it's in no way a "typical" BN cover, even from 1969, but that doesn't matter to me. I like it on its own merits, although to be accurate, it's more "Southwestern" than "Western". Otoh, America in 1969 had not yet really discovered the Southwest as a region w/a truly distinct cultural identity, so slack is cut, no doubt gratuitously.

Glad to hear it's the only one, too!

• 1 month later...