Windows 8, dummies question.

A good friend recently bought a Toshiba laptop, and, being an even bigger PC dummy than myself asked for help downloading and installing Avast!

He also asked if I'd bring one of my I.O. Data HDD and load some tv programmes onto his hard disk.

Thinking this was a very simple task I arrived to find to my great dismay that his pc was running Windows 8.

Avast! was no real problem but neither my Buffalo USB flash drive nor the external HDD would work. With Windows7, when I plug in either one a menu appears, which , when opened allows me to drag files to desktop. With Windows 8 none of this happened and I was clueless as to whether the problem was my not understanding how to perform such a simple task on Windows 8 or that the HDD is not compatible with Windows 8.

I've tried to find a solution on line but have come up with nothing.

Could any kind soul explain what the problem might be ?

I now understand the cause of the problem, my external HDD is not compatible with Windows 8, only XP, Vista & 7.

Very bad news for anyone with lots of files stored on HDD who switches to 8. It would mean either writing it off as unusable or buying new 8 compatible HDD and transfering all the data. My brief encounter with 8 just confirms all the tales of woe I'd heard about it's dreadful reputation.

I bought one of the first laptops loaded with Windows 8. Without a touch screen, the OS is is virtually unusable. So I'm now back to doing everything....on my phone.

I did download 8.8 over the weekend, appehensively. I've heard it's better, but, once you upgrade, you can't go back without a complete OS uninstall/re-install. Brilliant.

I now understand the cause of the problem, my external HDD is not compatible with Windows 8, only XP, Vista & 7.

How did you come to the conclusion that the HDD is incompatible? Did you check with the HDD manufacturer? Did you use Disk Management in Windows 8 to locate the HDD? It might show up there, but not be assigned a letter. Also, when you run Avast!, you have the option of running a "removable volume scan". Does your HDD show up there? A Google search reveals problems similar to yours with every new OS. It appears that often the issues can be resolved by downloading updated software/drivers.

Edited by sonnymax

How did you come to the conclusion that the HDD is incompatible? Did you check with the HDD manufacturer? Did you use Disk Management in Windows 8 to locate the HDD? It might show up there, but not be assigned a letter. Also, when you run Avast!, you have the option of running a "removable volume scan". Does your HDD show up there? A Google search reveals problems similar to yours with every new OS. It appears that often the issues can be resolved by downloading updated software/drivers.

I checked with I.O. Data, the drives are noncompatible with Windows 8.

• 6 months later...

Anyone know anything about this half-assed thing being improved with Windows 8.1?

I've avoided Windows 8 so far as there's no compelling reason for me to "upgrade" my existing Windows 7 machine, and the only new computer I've bought since Win8's introduction has been a Chromebook that Staples had a too-good-to-resist deal on. That said, you'll probably find Gizmodo's take on Win 8.1 of interest:

http://gizmodo.com/windows-8-1-review-little-changes-make-a-big-differenc-1446625571

Perhaps the most telling data, however, is the market share of the respective desktop operating systems:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iHhkB4WNAO8J:www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Edited by Dave Garrett

Windows 8 does boot much faster, but the interface is annoying. It dumbs down a desktop/laptop computer to the level of a smartphone. It's a "one size fits all" strategy from Microsoft to simplify things on their end, I guess. (and also to make computers less intimidating to a generation raised on smartphones.)

8.1 adds a start button to the desktop, so you can shutdown with two clicks/taps instead of at least three. You can also boot to the desktop screen.

Windows 8.1 Review: Little Changes Make a Big Difference

Edited by Jerry_L