RVGs - March 09, 2004

mgraham333

The March 9th RVGs are available for pre-order at CD Universe.

Donald Byrd - At The Half Note Cafe Vols. 1& 2 - 2 CDs

Donald Byrd - Free Form

Grant Green - Goin' West

Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie

Jackie McLean - Right Now

Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee

Interesting notes:

The Hubbard shows Backordered since 2/6/2004 for $11.79

All other single discs show Pre-Order Now! Available: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 for $9.05

The double Byrd is $20.25.

Seems like a slight price increase from the last pre-order....wasn't it something like $8.39...?

Also, no Rivers RVG is currently (02/06) listed Fuchsia Swing Song or otherwise.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all

I've been listening to jazz heavily for about a year now, and have been reading these boards for awhile. I've benefited greatly from the staggering collective knowledge here.

I am planning on ordering three of the new RVGs, was hoping for some input. I am almost certainly going with the Green (because I'm a fan and others seem excited about it) and the Pearson (mostly because of Henderson, but I also have not heard Spaulding before and really appreciate Pearson's contribution to Idle Moments). For whatever reason, the Hubbard is more expensive to preorder, and I was thinking of getting Open Sesame instead anyway, so the third choice is basically between Free Form and Right Now.

I'm leaning towards the Byrd because the only representation of him I have is on No Room for Squares, whereas I already have McLean as a sideman on a couple of records and am currently awaiting the arrival of A Fickle Sonance. The AMG only gives Free Form three starts, but the review itself is quite favorable. The McLean got 4 and a half stars, and sounds like it is a bit freer, which might be good to variegate my collection.

Anyway, if anybody wanted to discuss the merits of the sessions or offer suggestions, I would be much appreciative.

Welcome to the board, Ethan.

In truth, I don't see the Grant Green as essential. It is actually one of his weaker sessions. I would go for the Mclean and the Byrd and the Duke Pearson.

I own the JRVG version of "Goin (Out?) West," and I'm keeping it, but it's just that his other stuff would be more important to get if money is limited.

Hey Ethan,

You may want to consider pushing the McLean up on your list. I'm a big McLean fan and Right Now is probably my favorite session, even surpassing classics like One Step Beyond and Destination Out IMHO. Great compositions including the title track by Charles Tolliver and the hauntingly beautiful Poor Eric. McLean is in top form and Clifford Jarvis' work on the drums is fantastic. Go for it!

And that's an interesting take on the Green - on the older RVG threads it seemed to be generating perhaps the most excitement out of any of the announced releases for this year, but I suppose that is more a reflection of its scarcity than its quality.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ethan

It's a reflection of its former scarcity. Obviously, that will no longer be the case now that the RVG is coming out.

Few had copies of this session since it only appeared on LP prior to being issued in Japan.

Donald Byrd, "Live at the Half Note" is a must-have.

I was referring to the new RVGs. I can help you out Couw if you need me to pick up some stuff for you here.

Otherwise, it's RON MCMASTER!!

:g

you mean ron is gonna pick up stuff for me? great! :g

much appreciated paul, will contact you as soon as wishes and wife will allow :tup