Sam Most : RIP

sgcim

I've never been one to like flutes in jazz, find it difficult to stand Bud Shank on flute (though I consider myself a bit of a WCJ fan), can only digest some very early Herbie Mann but found the Bethlehem LPs by Sam Most always very, very enjoyable. Don't know how representative they are of his later work but his "clarinet-esque" (?? don't know how to describe it otherwise) flute work on the one where he alternates between flute and clarinet always was right up my alley. And his Bird, Bud, Monk & Miles LP may be atypical but is fine anyway IMO.

RIP

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Forcing myself not to comment on Steve's post.

No harm or no offense meant.

Opinions and tastes differ, you know ... ;)

(And of course I suppose you realize my "atypical" reference of Sam Most's Bird, Bud, Monk & Miles LP refers to the fact that it is a NON-flute item? ;) )

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Two guys were my musical mentor/friends: Moody and Most. Some musical commonalities in the flute n' sax thing, but also two nice cats.

I favored Sam's tenor work He gave me a tenor-only or nearly so album back around 1980 ( not at-hand to give particulars). More importantly, he promised to focus on the tenor when he played at my wedding I sadly an offer I was never able to take him up on.

Sorry it was time to go, Sam.

Have always especially enjoyed the albums he made for Don Schlitten. Fine groups Schlitten assembled for him.

I'm with you there, and very few of them have ever appeared on cd. Most is one of those lesser known guys who would really benefit from a box and probably will never get one, but I loved his work. RIP.

gregmo

http://bebopflute.com/

Have always especially enjoyed the albums he made for Don Schlitten. Fine groups Schlitten assembled for him.

I'm with you there, and very few of them have ever appeared on cd. Most is one of those lesser known guys who would really benefit from a box and probably will never get one, but I loved his work. RIP.

gregmo

Complete Xanadu would be interesting.

gregmo

Sad news.

I remember seeing a notice a few years ago about a box set of Sam Most's complete Bethlehem recordings. Then I woke up and realized it was just a dream. :(

It'd been years since I'd listened to it, but this thread led me to pull out Buddy Rich's Blues Caravan, which is a fine record that I shouldn't have neglected for so long. I also enjoy Most's playing on Frank Strazzeri's Frank's Blues, a record that seems to fly under the radar. RIP.

It'd been years since I'd listened to it, but this thread led me to pull out Buddy Rich's Blues Caravan, which is a fine record that I shouldn't have neglected for so long. I also enjoy Most's playing on Frank Strazzeri's Frank's Blues, a record that seems to fly under the radar. RIP.

Yes, Frank's Blues is a good one. Under the radar, even by Strazzeri's standards, probably because it came out on an obscure label, Night Life. I stumbled across it one day, no doubt at the Jazz Record Mart, and took a flier.