YOUR oldest most outdated device

this captivating yahoo title might be an interesting discussion point. we all have old outdated devices that we still love.

http://news.yahoo.com/your-oldest--most-outdated-device-010249339.html

my everyday phone is a 7 year old motorola w376g, an ancient, by cellular standards. by any standards, my phone has awesome battery life and reception.

whether we limit the discussion to electronic gizmos is up to you guys.

my everyday camera is a tiny sony h50, elderly by camera standards.

hopefully, no one will mention their wife or whang in this topic.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Well my car is over ten years old.... but my amplifier is over thirty years old!

likewise

on may 28, i will be celebrating the purchase of my then new 1988 chevy nova. it's still purring in daily use, and is my newest current vehicle.

my tv and phono amp is a circa 1974 pioneer sx-780 still purring.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Heh, where to start??? First off...you guys with your modern cars....a 1973 Mark lV, is my daily driver. Have a Sony Betamax(don't use to record stuff anymore) A Realistic Laserdisc player. Can I count my Dad's Mac 60 his Marantz pre Amp, or his JBL speakers, all from the 50's? (and all working just fine, knock wood)

Heh, where to start??? First off...you guys with your modern cars....a 1973 Mark lV, is my daily driver. Have a Sony Betamax(don't use to record stuff anymore) A Realistic Laserdisc player. Can I count my Dad's Mac 60 his Marantz pre Amp, or his JBL speakers, all from the 50's? (and all working just fine, knock wood)

BER POSITIVELY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my car is over ten years old.... but my amplifier is over thirty years old!

My main amplifier is pushing 40; my turntable is from 1978; speakers 1978. My C-Melody sax was made in 1925. (This is all academic, since all my "stuff" is in storage while I've traveled 24/7/365 for the past 15 years.) Of more modern vintage, but living in "dog years", my Creative Labs Nomad MP3 player is from 2000...and still gets regular use - bullet-proof!

I've got my grandmother's sewing machine, and some tools forged by my blacksmith great, great, great...grandfather back in the early 1800s.

My paperweight is a rock.

Edited by BeBop

My main amplifier is pushing 40; my turntable is from 1978; speakers 1978. My C-Melody sax was made in 1925. (This is all academic, since all my "stuff" is in storage while I've traveled 24/7/365 for the past 15 years.) Of more modern vintage, but living in "dog years", my Creative Labs Nomad MP3 player is from 2000...and still gets regular use - bullet-proof!

nomad 2000--WOW!!!!

nomad 2000--WOW!!!!

I still get 12 or so hours of listening on a charge...and the thing will keep a charge for many weeks. And it's great because all my vegan "friends" are horrified by the leather case.

Edited by BeBop

a Selmer Mark VII alto from 1971 ... not sure it's outdated, though :)

Got you beat. My oldest horn is a c. 1920 curved soprano, nominally a Wurlitzer (really made by Beuscher).

Or rather, that's my oldest playable horn. I have a Millereau double-octave-key soprano from 1900 or 1901 that I've never even tried to get into playable condition. It's just a cool object.

a Selmer Mark VII alto from 1971 ... not sure it's outdated, though :)

Got you beat. My oldest horn is a c. 1920 curved soprano, nominally a Wurlitzer (really made by Beuscher).

Or rather, that's my oldest playable horn. I have a Millereau double-octave-key soprano from 1900 or 1901 that I've never even tried to get into playable condition. It's just a cool object.

Very cool! I'm not a collector or by any means a musician, but I obviously got that alto to play (I got it in playable shape, but it has its warts and all ... but I love it, though I don't play these days).

Anyway, my old Lenco rekkid player surely qualifies, too. No idea from what time it dates, but it looks more or less like this one below, but doesn't have a suspender for the cover (which no doubt was added later), and it doesn't have that wooden frame at the bottom, either:

Lenco%2BL75%2Btop%2B1.JPG

oh, and the lid/cover of mine is in much better shape, no holes or tears or anything!

The oldest device that I use is a Texas Instrument Graphic Calculator TI92, offered to me in 1995.

TI-92_I0696.jpg

Teased by my colleagues who consider it as outdated and primitive, but I still use it on a daily basis [easy to program, symbolic computation,...].

I have kept the three Nikon F cameras I used when I was very much into photography. The first one was bought in 1966, the other two came in rapid succession. They traveled with me all over the world. Never had any problem with them, even if one was slightly damaged by a policeman's baton during Paris riots in the late 60s.

I used Nikons rather than the preferred Leicas M3 because my eyes never could adjust to their non-reflex viewers

nikon-f-camera.jpg

I use them on rare occasions these days. Too much trouble to get films developed ( I miss the darkroom I could use when I was at work) and printed!

Beautiful pieces of work and amazing craftmanship!

Any fans of the HP12C around here? Remarkable device, continuously produced since 1981. I've got three of them, include one dating back nead the beginning.

Other oldies but goodies: My Thorens TD160 and an AR turntable and some pre-production Richard Vandersteen (model 2A) speakers, from back when I was living in Goodspeak's back yard (not literally).

A short list:

-1981 Toyota truck...with a four-speed stick. And a carburetor.

-Technics direct drive turntable...at least 30 years old.

-a desk phone...and it still works.

-45 rpm records.

- My trumpet. Conn Director; circa 1965.

Edited by GoodSpeak