My HS memories are abound with Steve Miller and Dragsters at the Winter Nationals in Pomona, CA.

Muscle cars and Rock and Roll were my constant companion. All my buddies who had money souped up their rides with Headers, slicks, Hearst shifters, high boy front end struts with skinny wheels and big slicks in the back. Hearst shifts with a stomper 450 engine. YEAH buddy.

My neighbor had a high boy short chassis Chevy Nomad two-door with a wicked LOUD engine. Black tuck-and-roll upholstery and a metal-flake dark blue paint job.

THOSE were the daze.

1955_Chevy_gasser_street_freek-vi.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

Didn't Steve Miller get a backhanded compliment from Miles Davis?

No, he got a full-blown put down be Davis:

“I remember one time - it might have been a couple times - at the Fillmore East in 1970, I was opening for this sorry-ass cat named Steve Miller. Steve Miller didn't have his shit going for him, so I'm pissed because I got to open for this non-playing motherfucker just because he had one or two sorry-ass records out. So I would come late and he would have to go on first and then we got there we smoked the motherfucking place, everybody dug it.”

It was one of the oddest (and maybe the stupidest) things I've ever done, but for Down Beat back in the day (maybe 1969) I reviewed a Steve Miller album (it was his first or second) and Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" together and gave the Miller's album four stars and "Natural Essence" three-and-a-half stars. What I was thinking there I no longer recall/have no idea.

Actually, I do recall that the Miller album definitely had its moments (Boz Scaggs was on board), though I also recall hearing and reviewing a later edition (late '70s) of the Miller Band at a rock fest at then Comiskey Park in Chicago. They were pretty bad.

Got half a tank in the Trans Am, ready to cruise Mooney Blvd. What? Who said 'road trip'? Hey, give me that

Foghat 8 track. Blackstone, watch out.

:g

Sadly, cruising has been outlawed on Mooney. Besides, in my Toyota truck and with my gray hair...I'm a tad bit too old for that gig any more.

“I remember one time - it might have been a couple times - at the Fillmore East in 1970, I was opening for this sorry-ass cat named Steve Miller. Steve Miller didn't have his shit going for him, so I'm pissed because I got to open for this non-playing motherfucker just because he had one or two sorry-ass records out. So I would come late and he would have to go on first and then we got there we smoked the motherfucking place, everybody dug it.”

I have to figure the concert promoters had no clue what they were doing booking a Jazz act with a blue collar rocker.

It was one of the oddest (and maybe the stupidest) things I've ever done, but for Down Beat back in the day (maybe 1969) I reviewed a Steve Miller album (it was his first or second) and Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" together and gave the Miller's album four stars and "Natural Essence" three-and-a-half stars. What I was thinking there I no longer recall/have no idea.

Actually, I do recall that the Miller album definitely had its moments (Boz Scaggs was on board), though I also recall hearing and reviewing a later edition (late '70s) of the Miller Band at a rock fest at then Comiskey Park in Chicago. They were pretty bad.

Not everybody's cup o'tea, but Steve Miller resonated with a lot of us teenagers in the thick of 70s Rock, muscle cars and burger joints.

As a boy, I used to hear Steve Miller with Boz Scags all the time on Sundays free of charge in downtown Berkeley. I wasn't really crazy about him then, and feel the same way today.

I have a friend who is a big Steve Miller fan, particularly of his most recent blues albums. He played them for me. Strange stuff, is all I can say. :)

Had no idea he was still about. But, that's probably the first time I've heard of somebody being a big Steve Miller fan. Outside of Fly Like An Eagle his tunes were mostly placeholders for the next tune on Rock radio back in the day.

I mean, just because everybody could recite the words to Joker in their sleep doesn't mean it was a great tune. He was similar to Bob Segar in that he wasn't particularly noteworthy, but his songs were somehow iconic on the radio.

Turn The Page?

I don't think so...

Or perhaps Billy Squire-like.

Always came across as generic cock rock that would be perfect for elevators.

I'm with Miles on this one.

I will second that....especially in the 70's with Miles being more rock than Miller.

It was around the time Bitches Brew was released. Neil Young & Crazy Horse were also on the bill and somehow Steve Miller was the headliner. Miles showed up late each night so he would close the show. haha

Edited by Blue Train

Got half a tank in the Trans Am, ready to cruise Mooney Blvd. What? Who said 'road trip'? Hey, give me that

Sadly, cruising has been outlawed on Mooney. Besides, in my Toyota truck and with my gray hair...I'm a tad bit too old for that gig any more.

>

I have to figure the concert promoters had no clue what they were doing booking a Jazz act with a blue collar rocker.

Not everybody's cup o'tea, but Steve Miller resonated with a lot of us teenagers in the thick of 70s Rock, muscle cars and burger joints.

The "concert promoters" was none other than Bill Graham. He intentionally did this. He was a master at mixing and matching acts in order to appeal to the wider audience. Both Fillmores were his. Besides, Miles at that time was as much a rock act as any other rockers who were touring.

I think the whole Steve miller thing goes way beyond musicianship or the music...at least for me. There was an "every man" grassroots quality to his stuff that caught on much like with bands like Tower of Power had that down-to-Earth funk vibe going. So any comparisons to guys like Miles or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young just don't match up well, IMHO.

>

The "concert promoters" was none other than Bill Graham. He intentionally did this. He was a master at mixing and matching acts in order to appeal to the wider audience. Both Fillmores were his. Besides, Miles at that time was as much a rock act as any other rockers who were touring.

Gotcha.

Now it makes sense.

I still have a soft spot for the early Steve Miller Band albums, the ones with Boz Scaggs: Children of the Future and Sailor. Got them when they were first released back in the 1960s and now have them on CD.

(Bruce Hornsby's album with the Range, The Way It Is, isn't bad either, but that's a different topic :))

Edited by J.A.W.

I think this is what Goodie meant

Not everybody's cup o'tea, but Steve Miller resinated with a lot of us teenagers in the thick clouds of 70s Rock, muscle cars and joints.

I could be wrong

Yer killin' me, SS1 :g

Hey, I'm an unapolegetic Bruce Hornsby fan.

Rocks...glass houses...

Me too, also.

His first album was the best, IMHO.

I even saw him in concert at the Playboy Jazz Festival.

[Just] The Way It Is:

I still have a soft spot for the early Steve Miller Band albums, the ones with Boz Scaggs: Children of the Future and Sailor. Got them when they were first released back in the 1960s and now have them on CD.

(Bruce Hornsby's album with the Range, The Way It Is, isn't bad either, but that's a different topic :))

So do I, JAW.

Edited by GoodSpeak