Blue-Ray DVD player recommendations

bertrand

I think there are ones on sale that have been modded to be multi-region (if you search Amazon for example). I think I will go that route, but I am trying to hold off until next summer (most likely will be moving again and don't want one more thing to move).

The real problem is that there are so many players out there that it is really hard to get a meaningful review.

Enabling a Blu-ray player to be multiregion generally requires a hardware modification - they're not like DVD players where you can just enter a code on the remote to switch regions. There are indeed a bunch to be found If you search Amazon for "region free Blu-ray". Another well-regarded vendor that has a bigger selection is http://www.world-import.com/region_free_blu_ray_DVD_players.htm .

There are some pretty cheap region-free Blu options out there, but the name brands will cost more. Oppo is favored by a lot of people - they're expensive but will play almost anything you throw at them and have outstanding picture and audio quality.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so far for all the recommendations. I am leaning towards Sony, Oppo seems like more than I want to spend. I am still totally confused on the region-free issue. Many of the models are listed as region-free, and the reviews do not mention having to do a hardware modification. Has anyone here bought one, especially a Sony, that was region-free straight out of the box?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

The Sony PS3 is one of the best Blu-ray players on the market. May be a little more than you want to spend, but if you have Wi-Fi in your home it also becomes a pretty impressive multi-media machine. Especially if you use things like Netflix, Amazon On Demand, etc...

Not sure it's region free, though...

Edited by Scott Dolan

I'd imagine PS3s will be very cheap very soon.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. The PS2 only dropped $20 when the PS3 was released, and it took another three years before they dropped it down $30 more.

Have you read up on the PS4 at all? Man, I'm wondering what they're actually selling point is going to be? I certainly can't see the use for one at this point.

I'm wondering if Sony is regretting the "it does everything" tagline for the PS3. Because essentially, it does. And I wouldn't be surprised to see lower than projected sales of the PS4 because of it.

I don't know anything about it, really. I haven't owned a video game since Sega Genesis! I'm terrible the few times I've played Madden or FIFA on PS3! Ridiculously flustered! It's hilarious.

I do know a bunch of people who are ready to trade up though!

My kids will be getting into games over the next five or six years. Looking forward to all of it. Learning video games. Buying a new fielder's mitt. All of it.

Yeah, I guess we are talking a society that flocks to Apple stores almost twice a year for the "latest and greatest" iteration of the iPhone...

I'm seeing zero use for it, personally. The only game I even use my PS3 for on a regular basis is Gran Turismo 5 because it's part of my driving simulator. Got last year's Madden. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Played through a full season of it, and haven't touched it since.

I think my biggest gripe is that gaming simply hasn't evolved in over a decade. The recent Bioshock Infinite was amazing because of the story and themes, but at it's heart it was still just a regular ol' shooter. Glad they showed how engaging, complex, and deep story telling can be, but...

The mindless quarter eaters I grew up with were far more engaging than pretty much everything out there today.