Pat Summerall, RIP

Didn't like him at first, much preferred the minimalism of Ray Scott. Summerall just seemed too damn corporate-happychatty (Westinghouse! Gee YEAH! Nice catch too!). But hell, you hear anybody that often for that many years, and their annoyances can become appealing. Such was the case with Summerall, eventually evolving into legendom as he himself developed a little more depth as time worked its magic (or whatever it is that time works...)..

RIP, and thanks.

Didn't like him at first, much preferred the minimalism of Ray Scott. Summerall just seemed too damn corporate-happychatty (Westinghouse! Gee YEAH! Nice catch too!). But hell, you hear anybody that often for that many years, and their annoyances can become appealing. Such was the case with Summerall, eventually evolving into legendom as he himself developed a little more depth as time worked its magic (or whatever it is that time works...)..

RIP, and thanks.

No one broadcasts in that minimal style anymore, and it's a great loss. Ray Scott, I haven't thought of him in years, but he was a great one. The one broadcasting that I thought was great, but no seems to even remember the tandem -- Curt Gowdy and Don Meredith, Gowdy was another great announcer. Geesh, I feel old remembering all these guys.

I don't remember Gowdy/Meredith...when/where was that?

NBC for the 1975 & 1976 season. In fact, weren't they the announcers for the famous Oakland/Miami game, that ended the Dolphins winning streak?

Yes! (A non-Marv Albert "yes" there - though I like Marv fine). A couple of months ago I was watching a glory of the Raiders DVD since there's no been no glory since the Tuck Game and I was happily surprised to hear Don there after the "sea of hands" catch. That game is still my all-time favorite. I also loved Curt paired with Tony Kubek for baseball. When I get grumpy about young Buck's somewhat shrill tone I point to Pat Summerall as the example of what I'd like back in announcing. I was initially disappointed when they broke up the Summerall-Brookshier combo and paired Pat with my old Raider coach. I wasn't sure that guy would amount to anything as a color guy with his "boom" and all that.

Edited by Quincy

I don't remember Gowdy/Meredith...when/where was that?

I was initially disappointed when they broke up the Summerall-Brookshier combo and paired Pat with my old Raider coach. I wasn't sure that guy would amount to anything as a color guy with his "boom" and all that.

I remember that too. He and Brookshier were the top pair, but few of the obits I've been reading have even mentioned that.