MLB 2013 Season

Bryce Harper was ejected by Umpire Hirschbeck in the first inning of today's game in Pittsburgh. I think the ump missed the check swing call. Whatever Harper said pulled the trigger.

Not bringing it up to argue about the right or wrong. It just reminds me, weren't they saying when Stan Musial died that he was NEVER ejected from a game? I find that incredible for someone with such a long career!

Who are the Zen masters of MLB history?

One zen master was Richie Allen, who never complained to umpires, I remember reading stories about this as a kid. Steve Garvey was pretty mellow. The one player I always admired, and who carried himself in a classy way, was Johnny Bench -- in fact, I rate Bench as one of the best players I ever watched, and his fellow catchers always said that, by far, he had the best technique behind the plate.

Current player: Buster Posey seems like a guy that won't ever get thrown out of a game.

Nice point about Bench! He pretty much broke the mold for catchers!

That's remarkable about Richie (Dick) Allen since he had to endure a lot of terrible racism from fans!

Edited by Neal Pomea

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bryce Harper was ejected by Umpire Hirschbeck in the first inning of today's game in Pittsburgh. I think the ump missed the check swing call. Whatever Harper said pulled the trigger.

Not bringing it up to argue about the right or wrong. It just reminds me, weren't they saying when Stan Musial died that he was NEVER ejected from a game? I find that incredible for someone with such a long career!

Who are the Zen masters of MLB history?

One zen master was Richie Allen, who never complained to umpires, I remember reading stories about this as a kid. Steve Garvey was pretty mellow. The one player I always admired, and who carried himself in a classy way, was Johnny Bench -- in fact, I rate Bench as one of the best players I ever watched, and his fellow catchers always said that, by far, he had the best technique behind the plate.

Current player: Buster Posey seems like a guy that won't ever get thrown out of a game.

Nice point about Bench! He pretty much broke the mold for catchers!

That's remarkable about Richie (Dick) Allen since he had to endure a lot of terrible racism from fans!

Dick Allen: The dude also used an 42 oz. bat! That's a heavy man, heavy!

I was a catcher throughout little league, senior league, park league, American Legion, etc., caught until I was eighteen and went off to college (not good enough to make the college team), and it was a thing of beauty to watch Bench behind the plate. Still the best I ever saw.

Reporter tonight to Ron Washington (parphrased):

Wash, ther's been a lot of murmurring about the offense being cold, etetcetcetc, blahblahblah, yet you guys are 19-11. You keep winning, Isn't that all that matters?

Ron Washington:

<

blockquote>>

We can play bas

eball.

Edited by Dan Gould

Imagine, Richie Allen in the dugout smoking, and supposedly during games also. Gosh, just thinking about him is bringing back a flood of memories. Remember how he cocked his bat at the start of his swing? I though it was a beautiful and graceful swing.

sports-illustrated1-e1331226752123.jpg

When looking for avatars for my fantasy baseball teams I stumbled upon a Dick Allen blog that is loaded with some great pictures. http://dickallenhof.blogspot.com The guy has created a bunch of Allen baseball cards based on designs for when Allen didn't play. There are also some amusing photoshops like Babe Ruth in the ketchup/mustard Astros uniform and Reggie Jackson in a Mariner (not just the All-Star Game at the Kingdome where Reggie really did pose in a Mariner uniform as his own wasn't available). The site has a heavy Philly slant too so it'll appeal to lots of folks here. (Actually I think it's probably been mentioned in one of our MLB threads).

Edited by Quincy

The definition of "Class":

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57583482/watch-dodgers-star-matt-kemp-makes-cancer-stricken-fans-day/

This 19 year-old kid has terminal cancer with only 90 days to live. His wish was to meet Matt Kemp. I have to say that to this die-hard Giants fan, Matt Kemp is truly an inspiration. No kidding.

Edited by GoodSpeak

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57583482/watch-dodgers-star-matt-kemp-makes-cancer-stricken-fans-day/

This 19 year-old kid has terminal cancer with only 90 days to live. His wish was to meet Matt Kemp. I have to say that to this die-hard Giants fan, Matt Kemp is truly an inspiration. No kidding.

This is friggin' HILARIOUS!!

"Kemp's recollection was similar to something that happened to former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda, who was rebuffed by one of his favorite players when he was growing up. As fate would have it, he later faced that same player in a game and hit him with a pitch."

"Kemp's recollection was similar to something that happened to former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda, who was rebuffed by one of his favorite players when he was growing up. As fate would have it, he later faced that same player in a game and hit him with a pitch."

OK.

So this means Kemp's gesture was phony concern for a cancer victim...?

I'm sorry. I don't follow the logic.

Edited by GoodSpeak

OK.

So this means Kemp's gesture was phony concern for a cancer victim...?

I'm sorry. I don't follow the logic.

Sigh...

The humor in the quote has nothing to do with Matt Kemp. It's all about what Lasorda did to some dbag.

Citi Field during the last inning of the Mets 11-2 loss yesterday.

New-York-Mets-funeral-parlor.jpg

While I would be the first to admit that the Mets do suck, and haven't drawn well since moving to Citi Field, allow me to give your post a more realistic and honest perspective by asking you the following question:

Would you wait out a rain delay taking place in the top of the 9th inning if your (home) team were losing by 10 runs at the time?