Donald Byrd

david weiss

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to a lot of Byrd albums these days, I find that, if he wasn't a "spectacular" trumpeter (which is fine by me), he was a superior ballad player: "Little Boy Blue" (Byrd in Flight), "Stardust" (Motor City Scene), "I'm A Fool To Want You" (Royal Flush) and "I Will Wait for You" (Creeper) are all exceptionally well interpreted by Byrd.

I can't think of any 60's or 70's Byrd BN that hasn't been released on CD. But I'm sure there are rejected sessions and the July 5th, 1973 Montreux performance from the same Cookin with Blue Note night that produced the Hutcherson, Foster, Humphrey and Marlena Shaw LP's. That date would be of little interest to those of us here.

I am reminded of a rather poor book I read many years ago by the British critic Richard Cook, titled 'Blue Note Records'. I remember that he really cuts Byrd to pieces and more or less calls him a copycat.

Byrd certainly had his influences -- who does not? -- but he was not a copycat. One recognized his voice as his from the first.

That Blue Note book was a piece of trash in my opinion.

Picked up a copy at the library the other day after this mention. Skimming through, my favorite gem so far is Cook's saying that Curtis Fuller's solo on the title track of "Blue Train" is "dyspeptic." As someone used to say, "word salad."

I notice that John Fordham's obit:

http://www.guardian..../12/donald-byrd

says that Byrd "honed his craft as a member of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers." Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Messengers still a co-operative group, not one led by Blakey, when Byrd recorded what IIRC was his only album with them, the great Columbia date with "Nica's Dream." And then when Horace went off on his own, didn't Byrd and Mobley go with him, with Bill Hardman and Johnny Griffin (or did Ira Sullivan precede Hardman for a time?) then becoming the frontline in the first edition of the Messengers with Blakey as the sole leader?

I am reminded of a rather poor book I read many years ago by the British critic Richard Cook, titled 'Blue Note Records'. I remember that he really cuts Byrd to pieces and more or less calls him a copycat.

Byrd certainly had his influences -- who does not? -- but he was not a copycat. One recognized his voice as his from the first.

Picked up a copy at the library the other day after this mention. Skimming through, my favorite gem so far is Cook's saying that Curtis Fuller's solo on the title track of "Blue Train" is "dyspeptic." As someone used to say, "word salad."

That may be the most stone-eared description I've ever seen of practically any piece of music. Dyspeptic? Curtis' solo bursts with exuberance. It's an amazing, swinging, bluesy ride, strutting with confidence, lickety-split technique and soulful expression -- one of the great trombone solos of the era and a definitive example of his style that shows you why he zoomed to the front of the line when he arrived in NY. I'm dissecting that solo in some detail in my piece about Curtis for my book. In fact, it's the lede.

I notice that John Fordham's obit:

http://www.guardian..../12/donald-byrd

says that Byrd "honed his craft as a member of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers." Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Messengers still a co-operative group, not one led by Blakey, when Byrd recorded what IIRC was his only album with them, the great Columbia date with "Nica's Dream." And then when Horace went off on his own, didn't Byrd and Mobley go with him, with Bill Hardman and Johnny Griffin (or did Ira Sullivan precede Hardman for a time?) then becoming the frontline in the first edition of the Messengers with Blakey as the sole leader?

I may be wrong but my understanding was that after the BN recording, Horace took the front line and Blakey took the name and control of the band. If Silver was on the date with Byrd in the front line then maybe it was still a co-operative at that point.

That may be the most stone-eared description I've ever seen of practically any piece of music. Dyspeptic? Curtis' solo bursts with exuberance. It's an amazing, swinging, bluesy ride, strutting with confidence, lickety-split technique and soulful expression -- one of the great trombone solos of the era and a definitive example of his style that shows you why he zoomed to the front of the line when he arrived in NY. I'm dissecting that solo in some detail in my piece about Curtis for my book. In fact, it's the lede.

Absolutely -- always loved that solo myself. And given what Coltrane already has played, to come up with a solo of that quality...

Listening to a lot of Byrd albums these days, I find that, if he wasn't a "spectacular" trumpeter (which is fine by me), he was a superior ballad player: "Little Boy Blue" (Byrd in Flight), "Stardust" (Motor City Scene), "I'm A Fool To Want You" (Royal Flush) and "I Will Wait for You" (Creeper) are all exceptionally well interpreted by Byrd.

He was also a truly fine blues player. I never had any problem really enjoying Donald Byrd.

I always liked DOnald Byrd, rather than loved him. I love his BN albums from 'Mustang' to 'Electric Byrd' but usually it's for the other players or Duke Pearson's arrangements (particularly on 'Electric Byrd) that really make the impact on me.

What I really dug about him was that he went into law to help fellow musicians who were being screwed.

RIP to a good guy.

MG