What about... Robert Ruff?

Pim

I was adding the Baystate catalogue to a dutch music website, similar to rateyourmusic.com and found an album by an artist whos was till now unknown to me. His name is Robert Ruff and as it seems to be, he has only released one album as a leader and was a sidemen on one other record. I listened to a sample on youtube and I was amazed by his playing and composition. I ordered his album Shaza-Ra immediatly.

Here's the sample:

Has anyone heard about him? Anyone who digs his music too and my most important question:

Does anyone know anything about what happened to him? Any biography information?

I do have this album and like it very much. He's also on an album by the "World's Experience Orchestra" out of Boston in the 70s, so I assume he was based in Boston as well, but have had trouble finding any other information on him. I wish somebody would reissue the World's Experience Orchestra record, I really enjoy that one. Most or all of it can be found on YouTube I think.

Oh, it's gone for more than that! It's an excellent album - really - but I can think of many things I'd rather do with that kind of cash.

I don't know anything about Ruff. John Jamyll Jones, who organized the Worlds' Experience Orchestra (and the later band called simply Worlds') resides (or did, last I heard) near El Reno, Oklahoma and runs/ran a recording studio there. I should call him up sometime - I do have his number. He would probably be able to provide pertinent information.

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Charlie Kohlhase about Robert Ruff. Charlie played a gig with the World's Experience Orchestra sometime in the early 80s, but he said Ruff wasn't with the band at that time. He did ask a friend though, who says that Ruff is still alive and well but quit playing bass in the early 80s to raise a family. He hasn't played in public since then, but has apparently gotten back into practicing the bass a little bit.