OKeh label is being revived

brownie

I agree, but then there are people like my father and uncle who like straight ahead, fusion but also smooth. Generally it's separate audiences, and, albums in the past that were intended to cross over into smooth jazz like "Simply Said" and "Happy People" by Kenny Garrett haven't generally.

It's "instrumental soul" to me.

What do you have against soul? :g

Seriously, I can't even look at it like that. It's Pop Music far more often than it is anything else afaic. When it's anything past that, it's because somebody wanted it to be, not because it was going to be anyway.

i heard about this happening a while ago, cant recall source. thats cool theyre using the name by asso. the label w/ a catalogue of decent artists in improvised music, as listed, frissel, bob james, medeski, they so totally could of revived the name for not as good modern r&b boy bands, or whatever. so its a plus the roster is artists we know. the article didnt even mention the 60s revival, did it. so much great soul music and r&b on 60s OKeh

It's "instrumental soul" to me.

What do you have against soul? :g

I generally don't *get* soul music, but I have some respect for the original Motown type of stuff.

Here though I'm thinking of the smarmy Alexander O'Neil/Luther Vandross type. Smooth jazz always sounds like it's wearing a purple silk shirt, tight leather trousers and a medallion round it's neck.

Got no interest in converting anybody (to anything!), just have a personal quirk about differentiating between people who do things because they have to and people who do things because they choose to and are able to. How one receives the results is up to the individual, and there are no "right" choices, really.

But as far as the appreciation of the difference, you really don't know how good some people at certain things are until you get first-hand experience with how good so may other people aren't, even if they're not at all bad at it.

I mean, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3pRJ1_dE-4

is in no way this

The first guy, he's doing what he's able to do, and he's worked hard to get it there, I'm sure. and it don't exactly suck, even if it ain't great.

But Luther, Luther had options. Luther could soar, dip, dive, pretty much go wherever he wanted to any way he wanted to. And yeah, he worked hard to get it there too, maybe even harder than the first guy. But hard work is only part of it. Another part is your own ceiling, how much are you going to be able to get done no matter how hard you work. And Luther was one of those guys who had a really high ceiling.

I get personal taste, but I also get the difference between an amazing instrument and anything/everything else, even a really good one. Respect for something and "liking" it are two things that only sometimes overlap, at least in my mind.

That's all I'm saying, really.