RIP Ravi Shankar

colinmce

I have a hard time to find appropriate words on this occasion. His albums and a book he wrote, along with a fascinating four hour concert of an all-star ensemble he had taken on tour, were my introduction to Indian music, and will always remain my reference point for this.

A million thanks for fascinating music, an inspired as well as inspiring life and a never ending dedication to the music and culture of his people - a spirit of true tolerance has left us. He was an ambassador to the music just like Brubeck.

R.I.P.

Besides his importance as an artist in and ambassador of his own music, this is a man who changed everything in jazz and rock, if not necessarily directly, then by creating a new awareness and curiosity that re-framed the concept of "new" and "possibilities" in such a way things could never be put back exactly the way they were before.

RIP.

Can anybody familiar with the whole Bollywood scene comment about if maybe there "cross-cultural" exchange between Indian Classical Music and American Popular Musics maybe went both ways - i.e. - did Indian Popular Music begin to take a different direction at some point due to Western influences that might not have been there before Shankar? In other words, when The West began looking in to India for inspiration, did India begin to look back in the same way? Or would all that have happened anyway..or was it already happening?

There is a considerable number of middle and upper class people in India (and those who migrated to places all over the planet) who are much more oriented towards western culture - mostly educated in England, and they respect traditional Indian culture but do not have such a deep knowledge as one would suspect. These people would have made the fusion with Western influences, anyway.