Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered mine direct from bandcamp from the US. It showed up in about 10 days with my normal mail, no problems at all.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I have 'Wood Blues' still unopened, waiting until I fully absorb the box set 

I will say though that I gave it a few listens on Spotify before I was able to buy it, and when I finally put my LP on last week I found the flipping to be very distracting. I've had a couple of their other LPs and didn't mind it, but it really took me out this time around. Would much prefer it on CD.

Switching gears, I got a note about this in my email today. Digital only at the moment, but BG's notes refer to it as a CD, so I am hoping physical copies will be available soon:

https://mayarecordings.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-jazzdor

14 hours ago, colinmce said:

I ordered mine direct from bandcamp from the US. It showed up in about 10 days with my normal mail, no problems at all.

I will say though that I gave it a few listens on Spotify before I was able to buy it, and when I finally put my LP on last week I found the flipping to be very distracting. I've had a couple of their other LPs and didn't mind it, but it really took me out this time around. Would much prefer it on CD.

Switching gears, I got a note about this in my email today. Digital only at the moment, but BG's notes refer to it as a CD, so I am hoping physical copies will be available soon:

https://mayarecordings.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-jazzdor

CD available. Ordered.

Just now, Steve Reynolds said:

CD available. Ordered.

I’ve seen Angelica transform 2 shit pianos into concerto sound at two very hot Tony Malaby gigs earlier this year. Rainey helped, of course:)

I saw / heard Sanchez just once, it was a Harris Eisenstad's band with Eskelin. Don't remember if it was a trio or there was somebody else as well. Sanchez seemed to be sulking and her playing was trite. Will check out this new one with Guy & Lopez, their other piano trio with Agusti Fernandez is fantastic.  

9 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

I saw / heard Sanchez just once, it was a Harris Eisenstad's band with Eskelin. Don't remember if it was a trio or there was somebody else as well. Sanchez seemed to be sulking and her playing was trite. Will check out this new one with Guy & Lopez, their other piano trio with Agusti Fernandez is fantastic.  

Surprising. Yeah her playing is more “jazz” based that what I usually like but her demeanor & attitude has been great when I’ve seen her in any short interactions I’ve had with her. And she gets along great with her ex which says something. 

On 8/3/2024 at 1:29 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

... her demeanor & attitude has been great when I’ve seen her in any short interactions I’ve had with her.

Well, you see them in NYC where they can roll out of their beds to go to a gig. I see them after flights, train rides, crappy hotels, jet-lags and being forced to spend a lot of time with their bandmates, etc. This might account for a difference in attitude.

Meanwhile, I listened to that Sanchez-Guy-Lopez album on Spotify, it's really nothing special, IMHO. 

If you want some new Barry Guy with a pianist, this one, released on on ECM last month, is better:

Edited by Д.Д.

16 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

If you want some new Barry Guy with a pianist, this one, released on on ECM last month, is better:

I've been looking forward to this one. It's been taking its time making it to the US but looks like it should be available finally next month. 

• 5 weeks later...

Unexpectedly, there is a new Happy Apple CD (recorded in 2020, as I understand)! Their last one was released 17(!) years ago.

At first listen, this one is not as good as their previous ones - but good stuff nonetheless.