Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it's tremendous. I might still give the original Intakt disc the edge by a hair but it's truly wonderful music. 

Others may feel differently, but I find that the blending of classical and jazz forms by this ensemble is at a stage beyond what anyone has achieved in the past. It feels as though it could be Guy's life's work.

Thanks for posting this, I'm in. I find Guy's larger ensemble works more exciting than practically everything I hear from the "contemporary classical" area these days.

3 hours ago, colinmce said:

Others may feel differently, but I find that the blending of classical and jazz forms by this ensemble is at a stage beyond what anyone has achieved in the past.

Inclined to agree.

On 5/28/2024 at 1:42 PM, T.D. said:

Thanks for posting this, I'm in. I find Guy's larger ensemble works more exciting than practically everything I hear from the "contemporary classical" area these days.

Inclined to agree.

Interest piqued!

All of the Barry Guy box sets on Not Two are essential 

Tensegrity & Intensegrity feature the members of the Blue Shroud band. Stunning small formations improvisation

Mad Dogs & Mad Dogs on the Loose are earlier boxes with the members of Guy’s New Orchestra

the 2 more recent boxes have improvisations from members of the LJCO &  Guy & Friends.

to my ears these are the most undervalued releases to date of the 21st century. Pristine sound quality and often magical interaction by grand masters young & old.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 3 weeks later...

We will have the 2 volume set called Louis Armstrong's America out by mid or end of August. 4 cds total, with Ursula Oppens, Ray Anderson, Marc Ribot, Andy Stein, Kresten Osgood, Ray Suhy, Lewis Porter, Aaron Johnson among many others. All originals based on various styles that were parallel to Armstrong's life.

It may not be what you fans of free jazz expect but, as I called it once before, it is "an avant garde of our own." Plenty of open improvisation.

If you need a reference, Larry Gushee told me, years back, that I had "reinvented free jazz." And as Anthony Braxton said "Allen Lowe IS the tradition and one of the few people doing any new in jazz."

Contact me if interested.

And I should add that on this Aaron Johnson proves himself to be the best clarinetist in jazz. Bar none. Some samples coming soon.

Edited by AllenLowe
corrections

3 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

We will have the 2 volume set called Louis Armstrong's America out by mid or end of August. 4 cds total, with Ursula Oppens, Ray Anderson, Marc Ribot, Andy Stein, Kresten Osgood, Ray Suhy, Lewis Porter, Aaron Johnson among many others. All originals based on various styles that were parallel to Armstrong's life.

It may not be what you fans of free jazz expect but, as I called it once before, it is "an avant garde of our own." Plenty of open improvisation.

If you need a reference, Larry Gushee told me, years back, that I had "reinvented free jazz." And as Anthony Braxton said "Allen Lowe IS the tradition and one of the few people doing any new in jazz."

And I should add that on this Aaron Johnson proves himself to be the best clarinetist in jazz. Bar none. Some samples coming soon.

Does Aaron have any releases as a leader, or do you keep him chained in a room and only let him out wen you have a gig or recording session?

17 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

Allen, will it be on ESP Disk? 

One day soon I need to make an updated list of some of the many great releases from the last year or so. 

Golden Age for creative music, in my view

too bad the vast majority flies way under the radar as there is so much music released and most listeners are not focused on new music. 

14 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

One day soon I need to make an updated list of some of the many great releases from the last year or so. 

too bad the vast majority flies way under the radar as there is so much music released and most listeners are not focused on new music. 

Agreed. Bandcamp has been my go-to source for new music these days and my want-list there has grown exponentially lately. Recs here help point me in the right direction as it's pretty easy to get lost and miss a ton of stuff. 

17 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Always happy to hear your thoughts. I haven't been listening to as many new releases as usual this year. 

Hopefully we get a recording of Michael Foster with Strings

He’s arguably the best saxophonist playing in NYC. One of the greatest I’ve ever heard.

amazing 58 minute set last night at Solar Myth in Philadephia

incorporating Ellington, Fred Anderson & Joe McPhee themes with improvisation.

ended with variations of Old Eyes. Best show of the year.

With Webb Crawford, Zosha Warhapa, Nava Dunkelman, Ana Abondolo & Do Yeon Kim

Edited by Steve Reynolds

9 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Hopefully we get a recording of Michael Foster with Strings

He’s arguably the best saxophonist playing in NYC. One of the greatest I’ve ever heard.

amazing 58 minute set last night at Solar Myth in Philadephia

incorporating Ellington, Fred Anderson & Joe McPhee themes with improvisation.

ended with variations of Old Eyes. Best show of the year.

With Webb Crawford, Zosha Warhapa, Nava Dunkelman, Ana Abondolo & Do Yeon Kim

Getting behind the times. Hate to admit it, but I don't know a single one of those "new" players. 😎

On 6/26/2024 at 6:00 AM, Д.Д. said:

Allen, will it be on ESP Disk? 

Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that. But people can pre-order from me at  a significant discount. And I will also put it on Band camp.

On 6/25/2024 at 3:49 PM, sgcim said:

Does Aaron have any releases as a leader, or do you keep him chained in a room and only let him out wen you have a gig or recording session?

Aaron did record at least one session as a leader but I am not sure if it came out. I will see if I can ask him. His playing, which was always great, has reached new levels of brilliance.

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Getting behind the times. Hate to admit it, but I don't know a single one of those "new" players. 😎

These are some of the newest younger musicians on the scene in NYC/ Brooklyn

Nava & Do Yeon have been playing longer. 

great duo recording with Nava & gabby fluke-mogul on relative pitch fwiw 

Michael appears on numerous recordings including the aforementioned recording Vanishing Pleasures 

6 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

These are some of the newest younger musicians on the scene in NYC/ Brooklyn

Nava & Do Yeon have been playing longer. 

great duo recording with Nava & gabby fluke-mogul on relative pitch fwiw 

Michael appears on numerous recordings including the aforementioned recording Vanishing Pleasures 

Relative Pitch seems to be recording some of them, often in solo

fluke-mogul is playing with Fred Frith at Oto later in the year but I have a clash, shame

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Relative Pitch seems to be recording some of them, often in solo

fluke-mogul is playing with Fred Frith at Oto later in the year but I have a clash, shame

Kevin Reilly (who runs Relative Pitch) loves solo recordings. He believes it’s a true challenge for the musicians. I like strings solo a decent amount but saxophone solo isn’t my thing.