AFN discovers johnny carson 'tonight show' footage thought los

LINK

'WIESBADEN, Germany — “Heeeeere’s Johnny!”, the catchphrase once used by Ed McMahon to introduce iconic late-night television host Johnny Carson, took on an entirely different meaning this week.

On Monday, American Forces Network and Defense Imagery Management Operations Center officials presented Jeff Sotzing, Carson’s nephew and CEO of the Carson Entertainment Group, with a film reel containing clips of opening monologues and interviews of the “Tonight Show” with Johnny Carson dating back to 1963.

“This is the first time anybody has seen these clips since they were broadcast,” said AFN Broadcast Center spokesman Larry Sichter. He noted that networks, in those times, used to record over programming once it was broadcast because tape was so expensive.

Things changed on the “Tonight Show” in the early ’70s, when Carson asked to pull up old clips for a retrospective show and was told they had been recorded over. From that point on, Carson demanded that the shows be archived.'

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I would like to see these released.

But then again, where are all the shows from 1972 to 1992 that have apparently survived? It's not as if they've flooded cable with them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

They've released some of them on various DVD collections, some containing full shows and some containing excerpts from shows.

Johnny Carson DVDs