Ending Wireless Dead Spots - need help

AllenLowe

oh....how is that done?

It is fairly easy and should work well. You need two powerline adapters, you plug one in to an electrical outlet near your router, and the other in to an outlet in your basement. Run an Ethernet cable from the router to the first powerline adapter box, and another from the second adapter box in the basement to your computer. If you do a search on Amazon for powerline adapters you will see quite a few. Total cost for the adapters about $50, and it should fine.

Bob

I thought about using a powerline adapter when I had the same problem, but ultimately went with a wireless range extender:

Linksys RE1000

As you can see from the reviews, some people had less-than-satisfactory results with this model, but I had no problems at all. I do have a Linksys router but it should be usable with other routers. One caveat is that for it to work well, you need to be able to plug it into a power outlet that is roughly equidistant from both the router and the location you're trying to strengthen the signal in. Before I had it, I had a very weak wireless signal in the room where I most frequently use a laptop, iPad, iPhone, etc., and the signal would drop out completely at regular intervals. After installing it, the signal is much stronger and very stable.

It MAY ALSO have something to do with your computer's gubbins.

I got a terrible signal upstairs in the diagonally opposite corner of the house from the router with my old computer, which didn't have an integral wireless thingy. I bought a wireless dongle for it after we got my wife's computer and that's how I used it until I replaced it a few months ago. I complained to my ISP about poor service (it's their router) and they said that the type of dongle I was using wasn't one they supported. When I asked them which ones they did support, they gave me a list of one - not one brand; one MODEL.

When I got the new computer, I was worried that the wireless thingy inside might be one that my ISP didn't support, but crossed my fingers and took a chance. It's OK, but maybe you should ask your ISP about the wireless connections they support.

MG

C'mon MG, its called a doohickey. ;)

I thought it was called a thingamajig...... :unsure:

Nah, it's a dongle, 'cos it sticks out.

MG

Maybe not exactly on topic but I can't help but link

Sony Releases New Stupid Piece of Shit That Doesn't Fucking Work

A pity, but it seems that Onion sketches aren't available for the UK - all I get is an ad.

MG

C'mon MG, its called a doohickey. ;)

I thought it was called a thingamajig...... :unsure:

Nah, it's a dongle, 'cos it sticks out.

MG

Maybe not exactly on topic but I can't help but link

Sony Releases New Stupid Piece of Shit That Doesn't Fucking Work

A pity, but it seems that Onion sketches aren't available for the UK - all I get is an ad.

MG

Perhaps your router's not working properly........ :o

I'm told to look out for mirrors in the path of the signal. The signoal don't go through mirrors so well.

Or so I've been told.

I just use a USB wireless-g adapter hooked up to a longish cord and position it where I can get great signal off the router. But I don't have a basement.

I'm told to look out for mirrors in the path of the signal. The signoal don't go through mirrors so well.

Or so I've been told.

I just use a USB wireless-g adapter hooked up to a longish cord and position it where I can get great signal off the router. But I don't have a basement.

It might be called an root cellar in Texas Jim.

Or so I've been told.

What? No smoke?

Or so I've been told.

It might be called an root cellar in Texas Jim.

Nah, it's called nobody has an basement here because the soil is so unstable. Plus, in my specific are (and for miles, literally miles!) around, you dig about 6-8 ft down and you hit a solid bed of limestone that goes deeper than the eye can hear, or more fathoms than you'd mind.

62981232134126Collin-County-Center-For-The-Arts--Site-Eroded-Limestone.jpg

Foundation repair is a can't miss business in these parts because the soil is so shifty (a-HA) that there will always be a market. We try to water our grass, but we definitely water our foundation.

6977265083_386d73fc3d.jpg

Or so I've been told.

What? No smoke?

If there is smoke coming out of your router, that's a more likely explanation for the weak signal than is the mirror!

Edited by JSngry