In Praise of Music-1963 book

fasstrack

Subtitle is An Anthology by Richard Lewis (no, not the comedian, silly. He's evidently quite prolific-and from what I can tell alive at around 79). I just found this and it seems a gem, and still available at amazon. Quotes musing on the joys, curative power, and other meanings of music from ancient to more modern poets, the Psalms, composers like Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart, Debussy (alright, so it's Eurocentric. What wasn't in 1963?). Nice to see a book of praise rather than criticism for a change-and by such sharp cookies! Beautifully illustrated, too, though the credits are unclear. My favorite quote so far: 'The study of the history of music and the hearing of masterworks of different epochs will speediest of all cure you of vanity and self-adoration.' Robert Schumann, Aphorisms Inspirational stuff.

(alright, so it's Eurocentric. What wasn't in 1963?).

Is this a trick question?

No, a statement of fact: :rolleyes:

- Beatles and upcoming Beatlemania

- Concurrent final death of real rock'n'roll after even the teen idols like Avalon, Rydell etc. had exchausted their "steam" (whatever "steam" they ever had)

- Blues notables turning increasingly to the "folk blues" festivals and club circuits in Europe

- Wholesale emigration of a not so negligible number of jazzmen to Europe

Yes I am biased :smirk: and this is only part of the musical picture but still ... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDLmpcI0lY&feature=related

1961, but still..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1qnP6tpak

CosmicTones.jpg

Black_Fire_Andrew_Hill.jpg

31CT85E5D2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

44026.jpg

1963: African states unite against white rule http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/25/newsid_2502000/2502771.st

And so forth.

What wasn't Eurocentric in 1963?

Plenty.

DUH.

For that matter...

0.jpg

No, a statement of fact: :rolleyes:

- Blues notables turning increasingly to the "folk blues" festivals and club circuits in Europe

- Wholesale emigration of a not so negligible number of jazzmen to Europe

Yes I am biased :smirk: and this is only part of the musical picture but still ... ;)

Actually things turned around for blues notables a scant 5 years later when Mike Bloomfield did the right thing and introduced B.B. King as the 'world's greatest blues guitarist' at the Fillmore West. The white kids went nuts and soon B.B., Albert King and others were outta the chitlin' circuit and making a better dollar in crossover venues. Anyway those 2 years-1968-1970, before it came crashing down w/the deaths of Hendrix and Joplin were an amazing period of cross-pollenization in 'pop', jazz aside but sometimes included and definitely revered. There was actual fusion going on before the term was used descriptively or commercially.