Terra Brasilis

fasstrack

This hits me in the heart every time. I think it's a compilation. I heard his composer's version of Dreamer/Someone to Light up my Life and ran to the guitar to start playing it. I love his his salty voice, and it's against the law to be Brasilian and not play beautiful guitar. Good thing he was singing in English. Had it been Portugese I'd still be standing there blubbering like a 6-year-old (; Does anyone on the board know if the Maestro recorded again in studio after 1987's Passarim (another masterpiece, in Portugese and English), or was that his swan song? He left us in 1994.

Edited by fasstrack

Terra Brasilis was not a compilation. Vivo Sonhando (Dreamer) and Se Todos Fossem Iguais A Voce (Someone To Light Up My Life) are two separate songs. Maybe you knew that... but it was unclear from reading your post.

Agree with Lon- Inedito is a must for any Jobim fan.

Terra Brasilis was not a compilation. Vivo Sonhando (Dreamer) and Se Todos Fossem Iguais A Voce (Someone To Light Up My Life) are two separate songs. Maybe you knew that... but it was unclear from reading your post.

Agree with Lon- Inedito is a must for any Jobim fan.

Thanks for the info. Dreamer and Someone...(not going to trip over the Portugese) are usually paired together. That's whdt Jobim did on the recording. Maybe Sinatra did it like that and Jobim thought it would appeal to his American fans to do the same. Anyway I view them as a suite, and usually play Dreamer rubato followed by Someone in bossa tempo-both in Eb. Works for me. Does anyone know if he recorded after Passarim, and what? Post it here please. Can't follow links on the cell phone unfortunately.

Actually I got part of the answer. I got into the 1st wikipedia page and there was a picture of Jobim recording Antonia Brasiliero in 1994, the year of his death. I remember the 1st time hearing Passarim, some students at the Royal Conservatory in the Hague were learning it and they played the recording-which hit me hard and deep. It's like his crowning achievement, a beautiful arc of a melody, and the lyric sums up his love of nature and revulsion towards what Man has done to it. There seems to be an undercurrent of mysticism. Maybe I'm reading that in incorrectly since he was supposed to be enamored of the occult. Anyway, a masterpiece. Does anyone know if the biography written by Jobim's sister was translated into English?

Thanks for the info. Dreamer and Someone...(not going to trip over the Portugese) are usually paired together.

No, that's incorrect.

That's whdt Jobim did on the recording.

You still haven't said which recording you're referring to. Maybe we should start there. I lost my database in a hard drive crash, otherwise I'd try to find an example of this. At any rate, I don't believe that those two songs are "usually paired together", by Jobim or anyone else.

Does anyone know if the biography written by Jobim's sister was translated into English?

I've been asking that question for years, and was happy to discover (just now) via a web search that Helena Jobim's "Um Homem Illuminado" (an illuminated man) was indeed translated (FINALLY!!!!!) in 2011 by one Dario Borim Jr.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Fv2z_0KZNrUC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Great news on the bio. And unless I had some REALLY dynamite weed in the '70s I think those songs ARE together, on that very Terra Brasilis record I speak of. I know Sinatra did it that way. If I'm wrong I'll eat YOUR hat. Unless there's mercury in the felt. Um, you don't particularly hang with the Mad Hatter, do you? (;

OK. (Cracks knuckles). I just looked at the itunes playlist at Fat Cat, where I heard that the other day. Jim is right. The tunes are not back to back on the CD, but were played as such for some reason. Sinatra recorded them together, I'm pretty sure. Anyway, the seed's planted in my feeble brain, they sound right together in performance-similar themes (topical, not melodic). So that's what I'll do w/it anyway, right or wrong.

...unless I had some REALLY dynamite weed in the '70s I think those songs ARE together, on that very Terra Brasilis record I speak of.

Must have been the weed, then. :shrug[1]:

I know Sinatra did it that way.

On a recording?

Yes. I believe it was one of the later duets w/Jobim. I think all of that stuff is avail. in one set now. I heard Jonathan Schwartz hawking it as a premium on a WNYC fundraiser.

...unless I had some REALLY dynamite weed in the '70s I think those songs ARE together, on that very Terra Brasilis record I speak of.

Must have been the weed, then. :shrug[1]:

I know Sinatra did it that way.

On a recording?

Yes. I believe it was one of the later duets w/Jobim. I think all of that stuff is avail. in one set now. I heard Jonathan Schwartz hawking it as a premium on a WNYC fundraiser.

The phrase "later duets with Jobim", as with many of your comments, leaves me tilting my head like a dog. :):unsure:

This is probably gonna drive Jim even CRAZIER, but.. I figured out how that other part of Someone to.. goes.. that I mixed up w/Dreamer. Probably it's a 'prelude' section of the song. Some of the English lyric is 'may all your days...and live your life in peace'. Then it goes into the main section. If it were in Eb the first 2 chords would be (2 measures each) Eb6-F7-then it repeats. Melody is 3 quarter note triplets followed by a 1/2 note in the first bar. Notes are 3rd?, tonic, 2nd, 3rd, last note the half note ('may all your days..'). That's the best I can do, but that's how Jobim and Sinatra open Someone to.. I have to lay down now. I'm tired (;

Yeah, looked it up. That's how the song starts, with a different melody, and English kyrics by Gene Lees (of whom I'm not a huge fan). I'm sure the original Portugese is much better, iike in most Jobim's songs except the ones he translated himself. Glad we solved THAT problem. Next stop: GLOBAL WARMING!!