George Benson w/Basie Band 1981

fasstrack

I can't get YouTube at work, but if that's from a TV broadcast of an all-star concert I have it on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Basie-at-Carnegie-Hall/dp/B000094Q1L

I'm trying to find that PBS broadcast w/Benny Goodman, where George plays 7 Come 11. Can't so far.

I can't get YouTube at work, but if that's from a TV broadcast of an all-star concert I have it on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Basie-at-Carnegie-Hall/dp/B000094Q1L

I'm trying to find that PBS broadcast w/Benny Goodman, where George plays 7 Come 11. Can't so far.

And get back to work!! Damn slacker... :winky::party:

1: Kenny Hing=MF. Big-time. is he still in the ghost band? He'd be getting on. Best Basie tenor since Frank Foster. 2: Screw Benny and 'the ray'. George played his ASS off! I also found a Downbeat Awards PBS show from '75. (Someone please post. I won't be near a PC for a bit). The clip was Chick Corea leading Spain. I have good news and bad news: The good news is that George smokes everybody. The bad news is that... George smokes everybody.

Forgot about that Goodman/Benson PBS broadcast! But, now that you remind me, can still see the look on Benny's face... Thanks for bringing it up, and keep looking!

That was a tribute to John Hammond special. Goddard Lieberson hosted. Benson was great on "Seven Come Eleven".

Dylan also showed up. The details are in the link above.

Edited by marcello

• 3 months later...

Forgot about that Goodman/Benson PBS broadcast! But, now that you remind me, can still see the look on Benny's face... Thanks for bringing it up, and keep looking!

That was a tribute to John Hammond special. Goddard Lieberson hosted. Benson was great on "Seven Come Eleven".

Dylan agreed to appear on one condition: that he be allowed to perform his Hurricane Carter song in toto (it is rather long for such a TV show as this).

George Benson was included because the hype was that he was a Hammond "discovery." Having written the notes for George's first album (it was

on Prestige), I was ever so surprised to hear of this Hammond find.

Dylan agreed to appear on one condition: that he be allowed to perform his Hurricane Carter song in toto (it is rather long for such a TV show as this).

George Benson was included because the hype was that he was a Hammond "discovery." Having written the notes for George's first album (it was

on Prestige), I was ever so surprised to hear of this Hammond find.

Hammond signed the Benson/Cuber/Smith band after Benson left McDuff.

There is a good story GB recounts often in his interviews about this.

So perhaps Hammond believes he was 'discovering' Benson for a 'wider' audience.

For an amazingly candid and comprehensive Benson history -through his own eyes- check this out

http://www.smithsonianjazz.org/documents/oral_histories/George_Benson_Interview_Transcription.pdf

Really interesting to read about Benson's recollections of his meeting with pianist Freddy Gambrell in San Francisco(?).

Benson credits Gambrell with sharing his musical knowledge that redefined GB's musical approach - and gave him an edge over other guitarists after his McDuff apprenticeship.

I wonder what system Gambrell was imparting? I assume it would have been a Melodic Minor one, that is now common knowledge in Jazz education as a 'modern' approach (associated with Sixties Jazz harmony). But would have been far less available as public knowledge back then I suppose. This is now seen in guitar terms - at least - as associated with Pat Martino's 'minor conversion' system, or Emily Remler's 'Berklee method for dummies' system. However, Benson seems to think of it as playing 'Major' a half step up in a ii-v-i (?). To confuse matters further, Benson's playing seems heavily chromatic and more Mixolydian based.