Now reading...

41o3wndp5PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Must be about book number eight.

This one is set in Paris in late 1938/early 1939, revolving around the anti-fascist Italian emigre community and the attempts by Mussolini's secret service to silence them. As gripping and atmospheric as ever.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Kruth 'Bright Moments - The Life and Legacy of Rahsaan Roland Kirk'

Uki Goni : The Real Odessa: Smuggling the Nazis to Peron's Argentina.

Via KLM? Heard a good BBC radio documentary on that a year or so back.

Via KLM, Red Cross, Switzerland, Vatican, Spain, Italy, ecc. Lots of roads for the ratline.

It is "fascinating" how the Cold War suddenly upgraded all those war criminals up to anticommunists and freedom fighters. It seems that being responsable of the deportation and death of thousands worths less then being a commie's hater.

Though there were some valid arguments for it, from a pure strategical point of view, I think they call it "real politik".

What shocked more the author is the fact that some countries like Argentina, Vatican, UK and Switzerland destroyed the archives or still denied access to the documents.

In this way our US friends with the FOIA are still a step ahead in the scale of information's democracy.

just finished (in english had read it in german before)

Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

the state of "English magic" is funnily reminiscent of the state of jazz, it has, so to say, become a domain of bearded collectors ("theoretical magicians" who cannot do any magic and say they do not want to), discussions about the whether it would be desirable to perform magic again, endless discussions about at what point exactly things started to go downhill, whether the raven king deserves a central position in the history of magic... of the over 1000 pages, 400 could be missing imho (notably everything which is not situated in england or is too closely related to world history, napoleon and all) but still i like it a lot; is wynton marsalis one of the bearded collectors? (was shocked to find out that at work i'm counted as one of those with a beard, will have to shave more regularly)

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Wilson - A Small Death in Lisbon

An excellent thriller writer. I've been through all the Falcon novels, apart from the most recent which is sat on a shelf, waiting to be read soon.

Indeed! This is the first Wilson's book I read, last week I was on holyday in a remote Sicily's island and I was short of books, so I grabbed this one in the tiny bookstore of the town.

An excellent thriller writer. I've been through all the Falcon novels, apart from the most recent which is sat on a shelf, waiting to be read soon.

Indeed! This is the first Wilson's book I read, last week I was on holyday in a remote Sicily's island and I was short of books, so I grabbed this one in the tiny bookstore of the town.

The Hidden Assassins (2006), his last but one novel with a strong theme based around contemporary terrorism, is especially gripping. I also particularly enjoyed 'The Company of Strangers'. Like Alan Furst, Wilson his a real feel for the 30s and 40s.

I'm reading the first of these and will then progress onto something very similar:

long-player_1249328633_crop_260x400.jpg41S6h8DawKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The first is a lovely, funny, nostalgic read, telling the story of the LP from its original appearance in the late 40s up to the recent past. Great chapter on mood music LPs (Mantovani etc...the ones whose covers are forever turning up here in those album cover threads).

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I read that some years ago and really enjoyed it - it's due for a revisit soon. In the same vein is Wilson's The Company Of Strangers. Also very enjoyable.

I'm currently reading Roberto Bolano's The Savage Detectives. Bolano is great. This is the second book I'm reading (2666 was the first) by him and all the accolades I've read about Bolano are merited. He was a major writer.

This MIT Press book looks really interesting (and haunting):

Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals

...with a foreword by Oliver Sacks, an adaptation of which appears in the new NY Review of Books. The bulk of the book apparently consists of photographs that Christopher Payne took inside shut-down, abandoned state mental hospitals across the country.

Here in Indiana I've always been drawn to the former state mental hospital in Madison (way down in the southeastern corner of the state, on some bluffs overlooking the Ohio River...the town, btw, where they filmed the movie version of SOME CAME RUNNING). It, too, is a beautiful but somewhat spooky place. I think it's still open as a facility, though I'm not sure it's associated with the state anymore.

This MIT Press book looks really interesting (and haunting):

Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals

...with a foreword by Oliver Sacks, an adaptation of which appears in the new NY Review of Books. The bulk of the book apparently consists of photographs that Christopher Payne took inside shut-down, abandoned state mental hospitals across the country.

Here in Indiana I've always been drawn to the former state mental hospital in Madison (way down in the southeastern corner of the state, on some bluffs overlooking the Ohio River...the town, btw, where they filmed the movie version of SOME CAME RUNNING). It, too, is a beautiful but somewhat spooky place. I think it's still open as a facility, though I'm not sure it's associated with the state anymore.

This blog post has links to some of Payne's photos--including a pretty amazing gallery of abandoned-asylum photos on his personal website.

Edited by ghost of miles

Just read the first couple of chapters of Tom Wolfe's "The Bonfire Of The Vanities". I don't really know why, but I absolutely love this so far.

With you on that, Richard! Supposed to be an eighties novel, but I only read it a couple of years ago and thought it was great! :tup Also liked Wolfe's A Man in Full and I Am Charlotte Simmons.

Just read the first couple of chapters of Tom Wolfe's "The Bonfire Of The Vanities". I don't really know why, but I absolutely love this so far.

With you on that, Richard! Supposed to be an eighties novel, but I only read it a couple of years ago and thought it was great! :tup Also liked Wolfe's A Man in Full and I Am Charlotte Simmons.

I think I may well be checking out more Tom Wolfe after this Bill!

The Last Marlin, thanks to Niko, who mentioned that there is a bit of Tony Fruscella in it - excellent book, Fruscella comes off as a sad and self-destructive junkie, not surprisingly.

glad you like it! a tiny bit more about stella waitzkin and tony fruscella is in this book, didn't check exactly between this and the last marlin, but upon first sight there's not much additional information in there but some pictures of her art (it does say though that some of her glass pieces were molten from fruscella's liquor bottles)

http://books.google.com/books?id=3CdgUwZBN...kin&f=false

(it's called "Sublime spaces & visionary worlds: built environments of vernacular artists" by Leslie Umberger, Erika Lee Doss)

Edited by Niko