Now reading...

Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood

Flannery O'Connor described Wise Blood as a "comic novel". I laughed a few times while reading it but, for the most part, its characters scared the hell out of me. I'll never forget them.

And she wrote that in her early twenties, no one should write like that so young. It's an amazing book with a lot of unforgettable scenes an images.

I'd only read a few of her stories before reading Wise Blood. After reading that one, I'll be reading all of her works. Just have to decompress first.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flannery O'Connor described Wise Blood as a "comic novel". I laughed a few times while reading it but, for the most part, its characters scared the hell out of me. I'll never forget them.

And she wrote that in her early twenties, no one should write like that so young. It's an amazing book with a lot of unforgettable scenes an images.

I'd only read a few of her stories before reading Wise Blood. After reading that one, I'll be reading all of her works. Just have to decompress first.

Know what you mean, her books always scare the hell out me also. Where the idea came from that O'Connor writes comedy, I don't know. I've never been to the south, so I have this warped view of the south being like what I read in Faulkner & O'Connor.

Know what you mean, her books always scare the hell out me also. Where the idea came from that O'Connor writes comedy, I don't know. I've never been to the south, so I have this warped view of the south being like what I read in Faulkner & O'Connor.

The south I knew wasn't too far off, though it was more a sixties version of The Hamlet than and Sound and the Fury.

As for O'Conner writing comedy, I guess I haven't been exposed to many discussions of her. I hadn't heard that before. I know I haven't read enough of her work, but what I have read I would describe as 'unsettling' rather than 'funny'.

Wise Blood the film didn't scare me so much as make me feel physically ill.

I always wanted to see the film version, was it any good?

I always wanted to see the film version, was it any good?

I liked it (in a weird way) but I still haven't read the book.

Guest Bill Barton

Greg Bear - The City at the End of Time

(I'm getting rather addicted to his writing after being introduced to it through Darwin's Radio and Darwin's Children.)

I forced myself to finish A Study in Scarlet last night. What a chore, and what a bore. It didn't help that the last book I read was a Louis L'Amour novel; Doyle's description of the American West, and the people who lived there is atrocious. The idea that a westerner of that time would leave camp on a hunting trip and get lost because he wasn't watching his backtrail is something only a city dweller could come up with. And the idea of building a big, huge fire in the middle of nowhere, thereby attracting god-knows-who is absurd.

Oh, well; it's the short stories I remember fondly anyway. That and the Hound of the Baskervilles. I won't give up on my revisit to Holmes yet, but this was a bad first step.