Now reading...

Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Capetown : Interesting travel book on Africa. I have to go to Africa about three times a year now, and this book seems to capture a lot of what I see also in the various countries I go to.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Juggling three at present:

9781860774829_m_f.jpg3581168vb.png51DBDWZ8RJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The first demonstrates just how dishonestly those who own most of Britain's land came by it. The second is a very nice portrayal of post-World War I French music - a bit heavy on the opera houses, singers etc; I'm more interested in the composers who only get coverage in detail in the last chapter. The third is a nice, page-turning murder mystery set in France.

Ahem.

Most Britons have lied about the books they read

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090305/od_nm/...ooks_lies_odd_3

;)

Not me! From the list I've only read 1984, Madame Bovary and parts of the Bible and Ulysses.

I've read 1984 and all of War and Peace except the last 100 pages or so when it turns from a piece of fiction into a long, philosophising rant - skipped that. Bits of the Bible and I started (though did not get far with) the Joyce. Never even thought about the rest.

David Fulmer: Chasing The Devil's Tail

I read Rampart Street a while back - good N.O. turn of the 20th century atmosphere in that one (at least as far as I could tell - I wasn't there then ;) ). I want to read some of Fulmer's other books when I find the time.

I'm going to read Jass next.

Auschwitz: A New History by Laurence Rees. A look at the history of the Auschwitz concentration camp, and how it was run. A depressing account that shows how the German authorities worked hard to improve the method of killing people. According to the book, 1.1 million were killed in its four and a half year existence. Some heartbreaking stories (of course), and other stories that make you wonder about how people can be so evil. A challenging read.

51FQK8SQDJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yes, of course, a very limited readership for this kind of thing,

but for those that are interested, it really covers a nice variety of

perspectives with lots of score fragments, illustrations, as well as

TWO CDs worth of pieces as audio signposts.

Covering composition, performance, improvisation, and other areas

while doing so in a rather easy (but not simplistic) presentation.

Composers such as Dumitrescu, Avram, Murail,

and others discuss their music and composition methods.

032004.jpg

I am about 1/3 of the way through Bolano's The Savage Detectives.

He's losing me in the middle section where it is a bunch of interviews ...

I still feel pretty much the same way at the halfway mark. I'll finish the book but it doesn't grab me.

After significant digging, I came across kalahari.net where you can buy directly from South Africa (shipping the first item is a beast, but if you order 3 or more items, it isn't so bad). Assuming the books actually get to me, I'll post more thoughts -- and let MG know if I would recommend ordering through them.

It took roughly a month (and I was getting a tad nervous), but Kalahari.net came through with my books, saving me literally over $200 from what US bookstores wanted for the 4 books I ordered. They seem to sell music as well as books. Maybe MG should check it out.

I read Vladislavic's Missing Persons and Propaganda by Monuments so far. Both are short story collections, and Missing Persons is the earlier and somewhat less mature one. Missing Persons tends to lean on slightly surreal situations, maybe in part to avoid writing about the racial politics/situation at the time (a bit of escapism? or just feeling that Nadine Gordimer had already cornered that part of the literary market?) I think Propaganda by Monuments is the stronger collection. It's certainly enjoyable.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Back to the reading of my youth!

You know, I've been thinking about digging those Holmes books out again; I haven't read them since I was a teen. I wonder how well they hold up.

Very well. Give 'em a try!

Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood

Flannery O'Connor described Wise Blood as a "comic novel". I laughed a few times while reading it but, for the most part, its characters scared the hell out of me. I'll never forget them.

And she wrote that in her early twenties, no one should write like that so young. It's an amazing book with a lot of unforgettable scenes an images.